Barrister's Bookcase - Finished

Chet

33 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

How do you like the inset vise? Does it stay dust free enough?

Carus,  I am actually pretty happy with it.  For the the price it does a great job.  You do get the wood shavings from plane work fall inside by the screw but it doesn't interfere with the screw action at all.  I do blow it out with compressed air when I clean up the shop.  But I have never had to stop work because of residue in there.  I am pretty impressed with the holding power too.

• Like 1

I have two components to do yet, the top and the base.  I figured I should get the top glued up and in clamps so it can set over night and after that start on the base.

After cutting the boards to rough length I need to joint them together to get a nice glue joint. 

IMG_5385.jpg

I know the easiest way to do this is on the jointer, but I thought I would see in I could get good results with the hand plane.  First time trying this.

IMG_5390.jpg

Then I broke out the basket jointer once again ( Insert laugh track here ) so I could use some biscuits for alinement in the glue up.

IMG_5391.jpg

All clamped up.

IMG_5392.jpg

Milled up all of the pieces for the base.

IMG_5402.jpg

Then I did the layout of the mortises.  There are two different locations of the mortises on each leg.  After getting both laid out I transferred the lines around the leg and to the ends to help with the line up at the router table.

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

I matched them up with each other both ways to make sure everything lined up.

IMG_5421.jpg

Layout lines on the router table to show the edges of the bit in both directions to help with the start and stop block set up and the fence set up. 

IMG_5422.jpg

Start and stop blocks.

IMG_5424.jpg

Fence set up.

IMG_5425.jpg

Test cut.  I am happy with that.  I am doing these in three steps to get the final depth of 3/4 of an inch.  There is one mortise on each leg with this set up.

IMG_5426.jpg

Then readjust the fence and cut the other set up on the other sides of each leg.

IMG_5427.jpg

Done.

IMG_5428.jpg

Stood them up in the alinement they will be in, on the base to make sure that the mortises are located correctly.  

In the past when doing mortise and tenons I have left the mortises like this and rounded the shoulders of the tenons but in the attempt to expand my skills I am going to square up the mortises this time. 

IMG_5432.jpg

First one done.  This first one took about seven minutes to do the last one took just under four minutes, but I am learning.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Just curious if you thought about using a hand held router and a guide instead of the table?

I thought about it except for one problem, I don't have a guide for my hand held router yet.

14 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

looks like a LA jack

Yea Mike, its a  LV low angle jack.  I am pretty happy with it.  Real comfortable to use.