Barrister's Bookcase - Finished


Chet
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, micks said:

Very nice, Chet! Your first photo almost looked like aluminum rather than walnut for some reason. My initial thought was is it 5052 or maybe 6063? 

The walnut looks much nicer than either.

Ha, Very interesting observation Micks,  I went back and looked, it does sort of look like aluminum 

11 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

A barristers bookcase was my grandfathers last project. He built it with red oak, your walnut & maple looks much better !

I was actually giving quarter sawn white oak a thought but my wife really liked the way the walnut and cherry looked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Next I set up to do the door grooves on the router table.

IMG_5216.jpg

My test piece.  Because of the thickness of my ply material I needed to be 1 3/16 inches down from the top...

IMG_5220.jpg

...and 1/4 inch deep.

IMG_5223.jpg

For the left side frames I need the stop block on the left side.

IMG_5225.jpg

Test piece to make sure the stop block was the correct distance.

IMG_5228.jpg

Left side frames done.

IMG_5231.jpg

For the right side frames I switched the stop block to the right.  This time I had to do a drop cut to start and I also followed with a scrap to eliminate tear out.

IMG_5233.jpg

Six door grooves.

IMG_5235.jpg

Next I set up to do a 1/4 inch rabbet 1/2 inch deep for the back panels.  I needed two stop blocks for this so I borrowed the one from my Incra miter gauge - the advantage of having Incra router table and miter gauge.  Another drop cut and I did it in two passes.

IMG_5236.jpg

And six rabbets

Quiet, I'm hunting wabbits...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG_5251.jpg

Cut the plywood to rough size.  It takes a little longer when your track saw looks more like a Big Old Heavy Skil saw and a clamp on straight edge, but it's done.

Next I cut some 1/4 X 3/4 inch strips to use for edge banding on the fronts of the top and bottom pieces.

IMG_5257.jpg

When I glued them up I took a top piece and bottom piece with the banding facing against each other to act as cauls to give me more even pressure on the glue up.  I left the strips proud on both sides of the ply so I can flush them up evenly.

IMG_5254.jpg

And all clamped up for a few hours.

IMG_5259.jpg

Then  I cleaned up the glue squeeze out and flushed up the banding with my cabinet scraper.

IMG_5262.jpg

Then cut all the 3/4 ply pieces to final width and length.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share