Interesting Jointer Perspective

Tpt life

Yeah, 25"+ boards are very very rare for me. Heck, 20" boards are rare... Plus, have you ever picked up 24"+ 5/4+? Buggers get heavy in a hurry! I have some 20" wide 8/4 walnut that i can barely lift, let alone control through a machine.

I saw his post on IG and agree wholeheartedly. If you dont have flat and square, then you dont have the best of starting points.I buy into his statement, because i prioritized purchasing a 12" jointer prior to upgrading my lunchbox DW735.Or maybe the 735 is just that good?

Yeah, 25"+ boards are very very rare for me. Heck, 20" boards are rare... Plus, have you ever picked up 24"+ 5/4+? Buggers get heavy in a hurry! I have some 20" wide 8/4 walnut that i can barely lift, let alone control through a machine.

I saw his post on IG and agree wholeheartedly. If you dont have flat and square, then you dont have the best of starting points.I buy into his statement, because i prioritized purchasing a 12" jointer prior to upgrading my lunchbox DW735.Or maybe the 735 is just that good?

I'll come help you lift it... Right into my vehicle. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I'll come help you lift it... Right into my vehicle. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I should turn it into one of those food eating competitions. If you can solo lift it into your vehicle, you can keep the board for free. If you fail, then you pay me double. 

So what are the options for the edges?  I guess it's either by hand once again or router/flute + table saw.  Not many people are going to turn one of those boards upright and hold it against that fence across that flight deck! (Of course the fence could be moved, but the board remains a beast.)  Maybe Ed "Too Tall" Jones, but not many.

What gets lost in the discussion is the cost. Of course if money is no object, Or this tool will increase your productivity so much to offset the cost, but otherwise it is a huge investment. My shop space is limited, even an 8" jointer would take up a lot of that space and it is also fairly expensive. 

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

Two different extremes.  He is building period reproduction furniture and high end custom work.  His time is literally money.

That being said, I'd quit woodworking if someone took my jointer away.  Mine is a 6" PM and it works perfectly for my needs.  

I have the same powermatic hh that Mike has - it was $$$, but it's a winner for sure.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

What gets lost in the discussion is the cost. Of course if money is no object, Or this tool will increase your productivity so much to offset the cost, but otherwise it is a huge investment. My shop space is limited, even an 8" jointer would take up a lot of that space and it is also fairly expensive. 

I was not commenting on size, just usage. If an 8" jointer will challenge your space, so will a drum sander. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I was not commenting on size, just usage. If an 8" jointer will challenge your space, so will a drum sander. 

That is true, I don't have a drum sander either. Though unless we are talking about one of these little baby jointers

863672.jpg?rand=207874948

Jointers, because of the need for a long bed, tend to be quite big.  Of course you can position them against a wall, which is nice, just saying, they are a particularly big and as a result generally an expensive tool.

Compare a jointer to a lunch box type planer. The planers are squat little powerhouses that run around $500 and I think give pretty satisfactory results. I'm not convinced the above benchtop type jointers are worth the investment, and the next step up is a pretty big one.

20 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Two different extremes.  He is building period reproduction furniture and high end custom work.  His time is literally money.

That being said, I'd quit woodworking if someone took my jointer away.  Mine is a 6" PM and it works perfectly for my needs.  

Mike, What do you do for wider boards? does it not come up in your work much?

I think Mike hit it. For most of us, we buy cheap (relatively speaking) six and eight inch boards to glue into panels. Period reproduction is more likely to pursue much wider panels to start with. I really didn't push this out there to entice guys with envy. I have milled my share by hand and enjoy the process from time to time. The biggest benefit of milling machines is not speeding up production. If anything production might slow down as releasing milling to machines means I have time to explore other things. I have been inspired by first time claw foot carvers in this forum recently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aj3 said:

For me a jointer with longer beds is more important than wider.

Only because I like to make tables.The longer the better.

Now if I were making coffins that would my machine.

So could fit the lid to the base.I hate a gappy fit on my boxes.

:)

Aj

So you tend to use a lot of narrower planks for your table tops then?

2 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I think Mike hit it. For most of us, we buy cheap (relatively speaking) six and eight inch boards to glue into panels. Period reproduction is more likely to pursue much wider panels to start with. I really didn't push this out there to entice guys with envy. I have milled my share by hand and enjoy the process from time to time. The biggest benefit of milling machines is not speeding up production. If anything production might slow down as releasing milling to machines means I have time to explore other things. I have been inspired by first time claw foot carvers in this forum recently. 

Its all good, I appreciate the post. I'd get a jointer and drum sander if I had the space and could justify it. I'm building my tool collection like most everybody else, over time . I'm not even as poor as I probably come across! There are just only so many mysterious boxes I can sneak down into the basement shop before my wife starts perking up and asking difficult questions...