I Got a New Domino Joiner... Or Did I?

sheperd80

Glad to report that i was fully refunded this morning with no hassle. They were of course apologetic, and suprised at the dust. Who knows how or why the tool was this way, but they took care of it, so i see no need to go name bashing or complaining to Festool USA.

Thanks to everyone for helping me discern the issues here. And yes as above, the dust was the final straw for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Kudos to the "guy you now hate" or his employer; whichever it was.  This is the way customers of high end products should be treated.  I would name them, not to bash them but, to praise how they handled the sitch.

My old DeWalt planer had the sticker . . . and the dust.

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

I always liked DeWalt's approach to this. On the bed of the DW734, there is a big sticker saying something like "We apologize for any wood shavings found inside this tool. Every planer is tested before leaving the factory." It's longer than that, but I can't find a picture.

Huh, I bought a brand new DW735 about 4-5 months ago and there wasnt any such sticker on it anywhere and not a bit of dust on it either.

Call me a cynic but I definately wouldn't be singing their praises.  I will assume until otherwise educated that someone at the store re sold a return without disclosure.  They then got caught and took it back.  

If my kids steal a cookie before dinner and are caught cookie in hand,  I wouldn't go praise everyone how awesome they are for putting it back in the jar.. the initial act is the same.  Deception. 

• Like 1

Kudos to the "guy you now hate" or his employer; whichever it was.  This is the way customers of high end products should be treated.  I would name them, not to bash them but, to praise how they handled the sitch.

My old DeWalt planer had the sticker . . . and the dust.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand they fixed the issue, on the other they may have created it. Whether the tool was sold previously and returned, demo'd for a customer, set up as a display, i dont know but it was definitely used in some way and sold as new. I take issue with that.

And for the record there was no plastic film of any kind on the tool.

I will likely buy from them in the future but you can bet ill be closely inspecting any tools before purchase.

Just now, Brendon_t said:

Call me a cynic but I definately wouldn't be singing their praises.  I will assume until otherwise educated that someone at the store re sold a return without disclosure.  They then got caught and took it back. 

Yep.  I bet this is right based on Occam's razor.  No other explanation makes sense without a leap.  It damn sure didn't come from the factory like that.

8 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

If my kids steal a cookie before dinner and are caught cookie in hand,  I wouldn't go praise everyone how awesome they are for putting it back in the jar.. the initial act is the same.  Deception. 

My cherun always eat their cookies first, otherwise, they don't git dinner.

Op, when I have to take something back, I will sometimes forget to take some of the parts with it, not intended but usually happens. Did you return the systainer?

• Like 1

My cherun always eat their cookies first, otherwise, they don't git dinner.

Op, when I have to take something back, I will sometimes forget to take some of the parts with it, not intended but usually happens. Did you return the systainer?

Lol.

Yes i considered keeping the systainer for my troubles but i think they may have noticed. And i didnt have the right color spray paint to write Festool on a grocery bag. Rumor has it Festool sells that paint at 3x the price of most other paint...however its greener and has better dust collection.

Got my replacement today and its actully new and includes a cord! Sample joints are coming out great, i dont think this tool will dissapoint. But i gotta say they machining is horrid. I cant believe they send these out looking like this. I dont see anything that will affect the function, everything is flat and square but the metal work is hideous.... come on Festool... For the price, smooth-ground metal is not too much to ask.

170a50850e08c2cb4502be78e9f0416a.jpg

6fd08641782f2490ba8b6ec93fc45c6c.jpg

0e642c11f43af25325cf6bc4e4121d78.jpge66627e78c43f09e22b0a08f27fae8f9.jpg

Yeah i guess not, oh well. If it helps me make beautiful work then it can be ugly.

But i could probably stack 5 home depot tools next to it, totaling less than the cost of the Domino and have better finish on all of them. I guess every business model has a "save money here" chapter.

31 minutes ago, Cochese said:

The finishing touch on metal is not Festool's strong suit. Check out the underside of a Kapex sometime.

If the parts that matter like all reference surfaces, the adjustment mechanisms are smooth and true, I could care less about the aesthetics of some random weld. I've never torn a domino apart to inspect by I have looked closely at the parts that matter and they finish well.

Honestly the rough castings on their products probably makes things easier and cheaper to build. If they don't clean up castings they don't have to worry about removing material from places that require tight tolerances or true surfaces. I see your point and understand your argument and to some point agree but I'd rather pay less and get some rougher edges as long as functionality is the same.

39 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

If the parts that matter like all reference surfaces, the adjustment mechanisms are smooth and true, I could care less about the aesthetics of some random weld. I've never torn a domino apart to inspect by I have looked closely at the parts that matter and they finish well.

I don't really care either, but there are a vocal few who have raised hell about it.

It's a bit like the teardown of the track saw that some random person did. Who gives a crap if the inside isn't as nice as you hoped? It still works, right? Did you die?