Scrap wood mosaic / mural

Denette

wow this is a pretty cool little project! 

How did you go about getting the sizing and angles for this? would have been cool to see some cutting and your cut list haha 

Thanks!

It was actually very simple. The entire thing is on a 1"X1" grid, and all the horizontal strips are 1" wide. The angles are all 45°, and the pieces that run diagonally are just whatever the width was that fits diagonally on a 1"X1" grid. The strips in line with the grid were simple, all in even increments of 1". The diagonal pieces were less simple.

Original drawing, SketchUp render, and cut list:

2aeda202fb8dae2e6e6928f2ced67746.jpg

Cut list detail:

ca185cbc1cd76c8278be30923211b248.jpg

• Like 1

It's done and now on the wall! I attached it to the plywood with loctite, and when that ran out I used hot glue. I had to use a block plane on a lot of the pieces to get it all to go together - the diagonal pieces were all just a fraction oversize, and cumulative error started to add up. Once everything was glued down I trimmed the edges of the plywood, cut a frame from some rough poplar and screwed is on from the back, and freehanded a keyhole router bit to make a couple points to hang it from. The finish is a healthy two coats of spray shellac over the paint and everything.

As construction goes, it's pretty craptastic - my wife says rustic, haha! But it looks decent, and that's all you really need in wall art.

73248f606963e956d2140c6023caa0b8.jpg

a0646d06f2be6a3d2f31db75c0f012ad.jpg

• Like 2

Of course, the best part is that people who don't care about a blind mitered dovetail joint and the hours and hours of practice and patience that went into the casework of my serious project - those people are gaga over my scrap wood, pooped out in two days, shabby-chic, rustic piece of Pinterest fodder. Lol. This thing is getting a much better response on Facebook and Instagram than my serious work.

I mean, the appreciation is nice, I just feel like people don't know quality when they see it. I'm not upset that they like this thing, just a little confused that they aren't as excited about another piece that is, to me, so obviously superior. Oh well!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Denette said:

Of course, the best part is that people who don't care about a blind mitered dovetail joint and the hours and hours of practice and patience that went into the casework of my serious project - those people are gaga over my scrap wood, pooped out in two days, shabby-chic, rustic piece of Pinterest fodder. Lol. This thing is getting a much better response on Facebook and Instagram than my serious work.

Bah, get used to that.  My worst one was when I finished the Bed for Junior the same month as a batch of bandsaw reindeer a la @Llama (right around Christmas)...guess which one got all the oohs and ahhs?  Yeah, screw the bed...check out these freaking reindeer!  Made me sick.

The mosaic is cool man.  I can't get on board with the paint but the concept is neat.  I really need to do a few of these "art" projects, because the walls in our house are desperate for some interest.  I need a couple BIG pieces, and something like this would be perfect.  You've got me thinking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Bah, get used to that.  My worst one was when I finished the Bed for Junior the same month as a batch of bandsaw reindeer a la @Llama (right around Christmas)...guess which one got all the oohs and ahhs?  Yeah, screw the bed...check out these freaking reindeer!  Made me sick.

Yep... Same has happened to me though... Nobody gives a damn about my serious work, but reindeer/giraffe/cow/bear/bird... you name it... I sold those cows for so much money. Makes me not want to make serious furniture again. I can knock out reindeer so quickly now, the thrill is gone. But wow, they sell for a good amount. 

• Like 1