Amish table

Bthunter101

On 8/12/2017 at 3:36 PM, wdwerker said:

What does the underside of the table look like ? If it's really solid wood the same pattern would show on both sides.

I am more curious how, if solid wood, that table has not exploded on itself. Looks like solid wood around the outside edges but I would have to think that is veneer where the pie shaped pieces are. If not I want to know the secret!

If you've only stained it, the next step is to do a top coat of some kind of finish.  The default finish is polyurethane or lacquer.  There are other guys on here who know more about finishing than I do, but here's what I do know.  Spraying on the finish looks much better than brushing it on.    You don't have to buy a $300 paint sprayer to spray on finish (it's worth the cost, but maybe not the wisest thing to buy first), just get a few rattle cans of whatever finish you choose.  Minwax's polyurethane is available in a spray rattle can at most hardware stores.

1 hour ago, Bthunter101 said:

Was hoping for a smooth glass like top

First I'll assume by glass like finish you mean like a mirror.

59aff6d76ca59_glassliketop.JPG.d851bef3f1ff8f2965533e4a5bf19c66.JPG

I'm assuming that is red oak.  Even with a veneer, red oak is a very open wood.  A pore filler is the way to go for a glass like finish.  Folks do lay a heavy coat of varnish to fill the pores, sand back, re-coat, sand back and re-coat but, red oak can be contrary when this method is used and it is more labor intensive than a proper surface prep with filler.

Poly is designed to resist scratching and sanding back doesn't work so very well with it IMHO.  Hopefully someone who has used poly and sanding back as an approach will chime in and contradict me.  If you just mean "real shiny" you can probably get there from where you are.

Since you didn't plan for the glass finish prior to applying the finish I would reset my expectations.  You have a very nice looking table there and your efforts have paid off.  Trying for a different final result now may require just as much effort again or just disappoint.  The table looks great, I'd go with it.

• Like 1