Ishitani Kigumi Slab-Top Table

Denette

My dowel should get here later today. I ordered some cherry and some maple. Any recommendations on which to use? Originally I'd planned on maple, but with the aptly-labeled "ice cream sandwich" legs I am now leaning toward cherry. There is already a lot going on in this piece, I don't want to make it absurdly busy. Plus the crotch figure on the verticals of the legs is so gorgeous that I wouldn't want to distract from it with white polka dots.

These days I use a household iron w a Teflon coating straight on the wood. With an old steel iron I used a damp cotton rag over the dent. It makes a nice sizzling sound when it steams out the dent. It's easy to repeat as needed. Even if it doesn't completely raise the dent it will be much closer to the surface for sanding. Let the dent completely cool. I give it overnight to let any moisture evaporate before I sand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I would have done the butterflies in a darker wood, especially since you did the dark epoxy, but that's just me! But, I bet it's going to be a beautiful piece anyway! 

The project has been a learning experience in design, for sure.  I've never really seen a piece with cherry and walnut paired, but I bet it looks great.  I just used cherry and maple because it seemed like a good pairing that would highlight details and still have a similar texture.  In hindsight, I suppose I also went with the high contrast pairing because Ishitani's table had a lot of contrast between the oak and walnut.  Of course, his table didn't have goofy legs like mine does.  We will see how it looks in the end, I guess.

I'm very happy with the top.  The legs... hmm.  I'm not sure.  They aren't awful, but the process of making them has been.  I'm going to hold off on gluing the base in place and keep my options open as far as that's concerned.  If it all falls apart I could always save the top and make a new base.  I don't think it will, but with the way everything else has gone on this project...  I'm finding out that a backup plan is a very good thing to have, haha.

This is an exciting time when a project really starts to take on the finished form.  I find something to learn in nearly every piece I do.  That is what keeps me interested.  Sometimes the learning curve can seem like tedium but that is mostly a state of mind.  Enjoy the challenges and take the time to make your project your own.  If we could all do it perfect every time . . . where would the fun be in that?

• Like 1

When viewed as most folks will see it, like in the last pic above, the contrasting wood in the legs pretty much visually disappears.  I know there was some discussion on the mixed woods early on.  Not sure what the final verdict was for you.  If you wanted to lessen the impact you could certainly tone the maple with a mild cherry-color dye or tinted shellac prior to the overall finish application.  If you are happy with the contrast then, like others, I eagerly await see this piece when the finish hits it.  Congrats.

• Like 1

Turned out pretty cool.  I was a little turned off by all the character in that cherry when I first saw it, but I think it works very well with the design.  I'm still undecided on the maple legs.  We'll see what it looks like finished.  Anything oil-based will impart an amber hue to the maple so it shouldn't be so stark after finish.  It's a neat piece, though...I like it.

Guess I'll have to tackle the dovetail tusk tenon myself.  I see how it is. :D

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I sanded the whole thing to 220 and went nuts with the top and wet sanded to 2000 grit.  I had the paper for it, so I indulged my inner perfectionist.  I'll apply the first coats of finish later today, and will coat it over the week.

i think I'm happy with the mixed-wood legs.  I think it helps the legs stand out against the wood floor in my kitchen, otherwise the table base would kind of vanish.  

• Like 1