Storing of respirator?

Dhankx

I just got a respirator and in one of the reviews someone said to store it in a large plastic bag when not in use.  This makes sense from one standpoint, but from another standpoint I would think that the moisture from breathing in it would then cause a bacteria problem because it wouldn't properly dry out.  Thoughts / suggestions?

Keep the respirator in a place where it won't get a ton of dust on it & you're good.

It's the organic vapor cartridges that can benefit from being stored in a sealed bag. Left open, particularly for long periods of time, they can passively absorb stuff out of the air, theoretically shortening their life. No idea how much shorter, but sometimes I'll go months without using the vapor cartridges so I keep them in a ziplock bag.

Not that OSHA really applies to any of our personal shops but, they have very specific guidelines for the storing of respirators.  In fact, the refineries that I work in could receive pretty healthy fines if they're found not to be stored properly.  

Suggest wiping them clean (I use alcohol wipes) when done and storing them in a seal-able bag.

I'll also be the first to admit that I'm often guilty of improper storage ;)

• Like 2

I store mine wherever it gets tossed. :)

Every once in a while I'll blast it out with compressed air.  I'm on board with safety and everything but if you're that paranoid about breathing a tiny bit of dust...woodworking probably ain't for you.  Cuz you're gonna breathe it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Campbell said:

I put mine in a gallon size zip lock bag.  I dont think you really need to worry much about bacteria unless you put it in the bag and don't use it again for weeks and weeks. That or you carry some crazy mutating virus.  As long as its yours and you are not sharing it, you shouldn't have any problems.  

I stored mine in a bag for years in an industrial environment.  I'd wipe it out before and after use, and I'd be good to go.  Most of the face masks I've had have come with a plastic storage bag, otherwise, just follow the instructions yours came with.   My full face respirator is still stored in a bag, while my half face floats loose in my tool bag.   Never had a mold or mildew issue with either.   Proper cleaning before and after is the key. 

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

When I wear a respirator, the combined vapor and sweat accumulate enough that I have to pour it out every half-hour or so. If I don't clean it and keep it sealed, it grows whiskers faster than I do.

26 minutes ago, Adam Campbell said:

You working in a high altitude sauna?  Why are you producing so much moisture?

Adam's right.... you shouldn't be producing that much liquid, or at least it shouldn't be trapped in the mask.   Granted the majority of moisture released by the body goes through the lungs, but the valves on your mask should easily accommodate this.   You might want to try another brand to see if the problem is resolved.    I've worn full face masks respirators in 120* heat before, and it takes a couple hours before it starts sloshing around in the mask, but that's in the non ventilated area, so it's only a problem if I turn upside down. 

A well designed mask should have little to no expiatory effort required, easily venting the moisture. 

41 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

Adam's right.... you shouldn't be producing that much liquid, or at least it shouldn't be trapped in the mask.   Granted the majority of moisture released by the body goes through the lungs, but the valves on your mask should easily accommodate this.   You might want to try another brand to see if the problem is resolved.    I've worn full face masks respirators in 120* heat before, and it takes a couple hours before it starts sloshing around in the mask, but that's in the non ventilated area, so it's only a problem if I turn upside down. 

A well designed mask should have little to no expiatory effort required, easily venting the moisture. 

I have the same moisture problems described above, and it only takes 10-15 minutes to develop on the hotter days. I've had a couple different kinds of respirators, and I'm in a fairly dry climate (it is pretty hot though). I figure it was just a little different for each person (I sweat quite easily on those hot days too).

You working in a high altitude sauna?  Why are you producing so much moisture?

I'm sure the respiratory moisture is a tiny fraction. I perspire heavily in the non-climate-controlled workshop. And humidity is pretty high here most of the year. I have the same issue with respirators at work.

On the rare occasion I am called to diagnose control system failures on the overhead cranes in the furnace area of the plant, I sometimes have to empty my mask before I reach the top of the stairs to the catwalk (75'). Of course, the ambient temp hits 160F at times ....

12 minutes ago, AJ_Engineer said:

Store mine in a cabinet. Let's it dry out and keeps the dust out of the inside.

No issues for me.

Just using particulate filters not the O-Chem packs though. Once you crack those packs open they have a very definitive shelf life and those are the ones you can extend by storing in air tight containers.

Hm. So I am a bit confused . I asked in another thread of suggestions for a respirator and didn't get any specifics. So I got this which says fumes and dust

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009363G/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but some of your comments made me look deeper and now I see there's a difference between vapors and dust filters, so did I get the wrong thing?

35 minutes ago, Dhankx said:

Hm. So I am a bit confused . I asked in another thread of suggestions for a respirator and didn't get any specifics. So I got this which says fumes and dust

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009363G/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but some of your comments made me look deeper and now I see there's a difference between vapors and dust filters, so did I get the wrong thing?

Depends on what you are doing with it, but there are different filters that you attach to the respirator based on what you plan on doing.  If you are cutting wood you are not concerned with vapor, if you are spraying finish you want one that will protect you from vapor.  Its easier to have 2 respirators one for each task, but you can just as easily switch out the filters as you need it.  The vapor ones have a more finite life span.  

5 minutes ago, Adam Campbell said:

Depends on what you are doing with it, but there are different filters that you attach to the respirator based on what you plan on doing.  If you are cutting wood you are not concerned with vapor, if you are spraying finish you want one that will protect you from vapor.  Its easier to have 2 respirators one for each task, but you can just as easily switch out the filters as you need it.  The vapor ones have a more finite life span.  

Right but looking specifically at what I linked , does it filter dust? Says it does but also lists vapors