Birch Coffee Table

Chestnut

Thanks everyone. I didn't know this was going to be so well received.

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

past 180 or 220 is a waste of time,

I wet sanded the cured poly using a method marc covered somewhere. It smooths the finish out with out leaving swirl marks.

10 hours ago, RichardA said:

That's one helluva bookmatch. That's f-ing beautiful.  Ya done real good, nut.

It's actually not a book match it's just disguised as one. I only had 1 board so i just took care to make the grain work. I guess i did well thanks!

10 hours ago, Chet said:

I am not a big fan when it comes to live edge projects but this table and your two benches from a previous thread are outstanding.

I'm not usually either but the 2 main edges were fairly strait and it had 1 arm off the side that i obviously cut off. I went for it with the option to cut strait edges on later if i didn't like it. I ended up liking it too.

8 hours ago, lewisc said:

Nice looking top on this one. Well finished.

How'd you attach the bottom shelf?

Dominoes. I did 2 in the center of the shelf that were on the tight setting and glued and 2 on each outside edge that were on the wide setting and not glued. The tops of the legs are attached to the top with figure 8s.

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Nice work Nut,  I like it. Missed you at the Wood Workers Guild Seminar, but I can see why you weren't there.

Thanks hopefully I'll make it to one soon. It probably won't be until after the new year beings that this time of the year gets really busy for me with traveling for holidays.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:16 AM, Chestnut said:
On 11/6/2017 at 6:18 PM, wtnhighlander said:

past 180 or 220 is a waste of time,

I wet sanded the cured poly using a method marc covered somewhere. It smooths the finish out with out leaving swirl marks.

Terrific looking table.  Love the top - but need more info on how you did the finish.  Wet sanded the cured poly?  Can you give me more details and steps as it looks like a great way to make the figure pop but not have a real glossy sheen.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, SCPDX said:

Terrific looking table.  Love the top - but need more info on how you did the finish.  Wet sanded the cured poly?  Can you give me more details and steps as it looks like a great way to make the figure pop but not have a real glossy sheen.

Thanks!

Sure here is everything i did. I picked some information up for a lot of different places.

• I sanded everything to 180 grit. More specifically i planned scrapped and then sanded with 180.
  • First coat was de-waxed shellac, Seal-coat.
  • Followed by 3 coats of a satin wiping poly, I used Minwax Wipe On Poly, mostly because it's dirt cheap. I bought 4 quarts a while ago for $5 each. Between the coats i quickly sanded with 320 using a block of wood wrapped in a rag folded over 3 times.
  • I let the final coat cure for at least 24 hours. Then i used a high grit wet/dry abrasive pad (festool platin) and used some mineral oil and mineral spirits to wet sand the finish. I used my EC sander on power 3.

The final step is from a WW guild meeting, i feel like i have to say there is a lot of good information there even outside the projects them selves.

How long did you wait before sanding between coat?  "Quickly sanded" as in soon after the coats or quick light sand between coats?  Also did you do any grain raise?  I have read (and I have done this on cutting boards) to wet with either water or alcohol to raise/fuzz up the grain torn by initial sandings.

2 minutes ago, SCPDX said:

How long did you wait before sanding between coat?  "Quickly sanded" as in soon after the coats or quick light sand between coats?  Also did you do any grain raise?  I have read (and I have done this on cutting boards) to wet with either water or alcohol to raise/fuzz up the grain torn by initial sandings.

Quick as in i did put a ton of elbow grease into it just lightly and quickly ran the paper over the surface. I typically let the poly cure for 12 ish hours between coats. There are conflicting view points on this. I've read a few places that some woodworkers are adamant about NEVER letting water touch the wood. Some use it to raise the grain ect. My personal technique is to raise the grain on any project that might have water touch the wood. If I use a waterborne finish or an oil/wax finish I'll raise the grain. Any thing that sees oil poly i don't bother.