My crappy little shop

bleedinblue

8 hours ago, krtwood said:

I think it's easier as it's right there practically at eye level.  If you're looking down at it the dust shroud is kind of in the way.

The only downside is that if you needed to use roller stands to support long stuff they generally wouldn't go that high without having to bodge something to make it work but I've never needed to do that.

Huh interesting i think i just found the home for my drum sander when i buy it. The other nice thing is my 735 now has a Byrd head in it so i won't need to be going in the top as often as when I was using the HSS knives.

On 11/11/2017 at 8:19 PM, Mick S said:

Shortly after that Mel got his AD941. To his sincere credit, he has made every effort not to step on the toes of those of us who don't have AD941's, but a Hammer A3 ain't a Felder 941. 

Then again, a Felder isn't a Martin. There's always something else to dream about.

Thanks. It's hard not to sound like a jerk with that machine in my shop. 

I do dream of a 20" machine :) Oh, and I want a power feeder for the jointer.

On 11/12/2017 at 3:17 AM, I B said:

I just tried to look that Felder up and to see how much it costs and you have to create a login just to see a price list. :lol::(

I got mine on special... it was $11,138 which included a $500 shipping credit and some extras... goodies and such :) 

On 11/11/2017 at 7:29 PM, pkinneb said:

Lol I hear you :)

LOL, you actually flew over to see it :) (yeah, I know... "visiting anyway, might as well stop by Mels house" ;)

On 11/11/2017 at 7:03 PM, bleedinblue said:

This wasn't meant to be a "I look so fat!" type of post guys.

After living with an unheated one car shop in Wisconsin for several years it's hard to feel too bad about having a better space now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chashint said:

I like your shop.

i share a 2 car garage with my wife's car so my stuff moves all over the place.

i am ready to add a jointer and the Ridgid is on the short list.   You seem less than thrilled with yours.     Could you add additional information about that?

I actually think it is as good as any short bed (48", I think it is) 6" jointer.  Put it in line with the Grizzly, etc.  For a space strapped shop and for a budget, I'd say it's a good option.  I just wish for longer beds for the rare (honestly, very rare) occasion that I need to joint a board longer than 5-6 feet, and of course I want an 8 inch jointer.

5 minutes ago, chashint said:

A second hand (but still brand new in the box) Ridgid jointer became available today and I bought it.   I paid $400.   Considering all the compromises involved between the machine, the shop, and the money I think this is a good purchase for me.  Thanks for your comments about your jointer.

Nice.  I bought mine used also and paid about the same.  Even though I'm eager to upgrade, I don't regret the purchase. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2017 at 10:16 PM, Isaac said:

I have the same bandsaw, what is your issue with it? I do spend a bit of time tuning it up and such, but I'm not really sure if that is me or the saw. I believe it was made by Rikon. so overall, the build doesn't seem bad. It is a pretty beefy little machine. 

It honestly did pretty well for what it is.  Lately I've been frustrated by it losing settings and what not, and recently I was rough ripping some 8/4 cherry and I just couldn't keep the cut straight.  That cost me quite a bit in waste.  I also have a bent lam project in the works so I'll be doing some re-sawing that I just don't think the Craftsman will be up to.  I need more power and more accuracy.

That said, I just took delivery of a Rikon 10-326 last week.  It is set up, save for the fence calibration, and looks to be a big upgrade.  I haven't had much time to get it perfectly dialed in and put it to use, though.

I also added the big Jet air filter.  It's a huge upgrade over the shop made version I made a few years back...I can sand without DC, fill the shop with a cloud of visible dust, and on with the filter on high the air looks crystal clear within minutes.

On the smaller scale, in the past few weeks I've added four 4' LED shop lights and a few needed hand tools, including some Gramcery rasps and a Veritas shoulder plane.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chet said:

Frank, How do you like these?  Are they the ones from Rockler?

I like 'em.  I got them from Amazon, a four pack of linkable lights for just over $100.  Before these I just had three 4' fluorescent fixtures.  These are much brighter, work well (so far) and weren't much of an investment.  I plan on another four pack, the shop probably only needs two more though.

• Like 1

I have 4 of these lights in my shop. They work extremely well. They each came with regular plugs and switches to run them independently, as well as linking cables to string them together. Once I installed them, I went from very deficient lighting in my shop to very acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ENQSSI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the craftsman bandsaw, I have used much heavier duty machines at a previous employer, but this is the only one I've ever used in the 14" consumer range, so not really sure how it compares, I do have some trouble getting and keeping it tuned, so maybe that would go away with a better machine. Still, no plans to replace it. 

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I got sick of the bandsaw fence rail digging into my side when I walked by it, so I cut a tennis ball and capped the end.

Tonight Max followed me into the shop.  He sat looking at that ball for a good five minutes. 

20180319_203625.jpg

Darned good idea. 

On 11/19/2017 at 11:03 PM, bleedinblue said:

I actually think it is as good as any short bed (48", I think it is) 6" jointer.  Put it in line with the Grizzly, etc.  For a space strapped shop and for a budget, I'd say it's a good option.  I just wish for longer beds for the rare (honestly, very rare) occasion that I need to joint a board longer than 5-6 feet, and of course I want an 8 inch jointer.

I have the Ridgid & have the same thoughts. Tried to joint some 6' piece this week. Tough. Some had to first go through the planer in a sled arrangement, others began on the table-saw. Then to the jointer. But either way it probably took the same amount of time as if all were done on the jointer since with the table saw it is easier to take off a larger swath.