My crappy little shop

bleedinblue

It may be small, but it looks nice to me. I'm in a similar sized space. I'll have to go thru each pic more slowly to compare any differences and see if I can pick up any good changes to make. Thx for sharing!

Also, I have the veritas router plane, and mine is also always a little loose...maybe I should read the manual.

Frank, I think over all for the space you have, you have it set up pretty well.  I can't get a real accurate feel for the space but the one thing I see that I might try is to move you planer on the other side of you dust system.  That way you would have all you milling machines in an area that would save steps.  I have my jointer situated in the same place as yours and  I have my planer to the right of my jointer so that when I am feeding the stock into the planer it ends up coming out on my outfeed table.  The only thing I have to do is fold up the infeed table on the planer to use the jointer, no big deal.  I don't know if that would work for you.

3 minutes ago, Chet said:

Frank, I think over all for the space you have, you have it set up pretty well.  I can't get a real accurate feel for the space but the one thing I see that I might try is to move you planer on the other side of you dust system.  That way you would have all you milling machines in an area that would save steps.  I have my jointer situated in the same place as yours and  I have my planer to the right of my jointer so that when I am feeding the stock into the planer it ends up coming out on my outfeed table.  The only thing I have to do is fold up the infeed table on the planer to use the jointer, no big deal.  I don't know if that would work for you.

It would be tight in the current configuration.  But...when I get some pvc up for the dust collector, I'll be more flexible with its placement and I intend on pulling it back as far as I can.  When I do that I can get the planer back to the left of the DC. 

• Like 1

Looks good.  Little suggestion from my even smaller shop... stack the drum sander on top of the planer.   Frees up a ton of floor space and they have the same infeed/outfeed requirements.   Very little downside to having the drum sander up higher, besides having to get it up there in the first place.  

• Like 1

Nice shop!  Mine is very close in size (17x30) and while I would like something bigger, it is very usable.  Any chance you could exhaust your DC outside, it would free up some floor space.  In my shop the only permanent tools are the table saw, out feed table and workbench.  I have to keep everything else on mobile bases.  My out feed table is very close to yours,  instead of building a new one I added drawers to one end and left the shelf on the other.  Lets me keep all of the table saw stuff in one place.  How large is the foot print for you drum sander?  I would really like to replace mine, it's really big and bulky,  but I doubt I could convince the boss.  I would have to come up with some sort of reason, size would be a good place to start.

22 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

My wife simply rolls her eyes and gives me permission to buy a table saw or drum sander, but I get a flat out NO when I say I want to paint the walls.

Sounds like a good reason to complain more. I'll trade an eye roll and walls painted like a set from Sound of Music in exchange for a new machine any day! And you could always sheath the walls in OSB or plywood to hang stuff! It's not paint!

You've got a great setup there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Nice shop!  Mine is very close in size (17x30) and while I would like something bigger, it is very usable.  Any chance you could exhaust your DC outside, it would free up some floor space.  In my shop the only permanent tools are the table saw, out feed table and workbench.  I have to keep everything else on mobile bases.  My out feed table is very close to yours,  instead of building a new one I added drawers to one end and left the shelf on the other.  Lets me keep all of the table saw stuff in one place.  How large is the foot print for you drum sander?  I would really like to replace mine, it's really big and bulky,  but I doubt I could convince the boss.  I would have to come up with some sort of reason, size would be a good place to start.

The cabinet's footprint is around 22x31.  The motor overhangs by a couple inches, so essentially the footprint of the sander is in the neighborhood of 22x34.

This wasn't meant to be a "I look so fat!" type of post guys.  I am thankful for what I have and I know a lot are less fortunate than I.  I've just been looking at Mel's Felder for too long.  Thanks for the comments and kind words.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

This wasn't meant to be a "I look so fat!" type of post guys.

I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly didn't take it way.  I really enjoy "shop tours" I like seeing how other people set up, and I always learn something new.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

This wasn't meant to be a "I look so fat!" type of post guys. 

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Lol I hear you :)

Haha! I ordered a Hammer A3-41 after seeing MattK's video and studying up. A dream machine for me. Shortly after that Mel got his AD941. To his sincere credit, he has made every effort not to step on the toes of those of us who don't have AD941's, but a Hammer A3 ain't a Felder 941. 

Then again, a Felder isn't a Martin. There's always something else to dream about.

PS - I'm thrilled with my A3

• Like 2

On 11/10/2017 at 10:55 PM, krtwood said:

Looks good.  Little suggestion from my even smaller shop... stack the drum sander on top of the planer.   Frees up a ton of floor space and they have the same infeed/outfeed requirements.   Very little downside to having the drum sander up higher, besides having to get it up there in the first place.  

I was going to ask someone about that. I was thinking of stacking mine (well when i get a sander which i hope is kinda soon). Does it make changing the sand paper a pain?

On 11/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, bleedinblue said:

but I get a flat out NO when I say I want to paint the walls.

Still look better than unpainted concrete. I kinda like the walls.

Is there any reason you couldn't swap the DC and where your Husky box is? If you moved the assembly table to the other side of the table saw and put your sander and planer on the back wall stacked like KRT said all your major dust generation would be in 1 area making collection easier.

I modified your layout thingy. I don't know if this would help the assembly table could be too big the that spot but it could be the motivation you need to build a new one longer and skinnier. Just thoughts.

5a09b06970f72_Newlayout.jpg.244c66786cccf533fdb26f868e781d73.jpg

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I was going to ask someone about that. I was thinking of stacking mine (well when i get a sander which i hope is kinda soon). Does it make changing the sand paper a pain?

I think it's easier as it's right there practically at eye level.  If you're looking down at it the dust shroud is kind of in the way.

The only downside is that if you needed to use roller stands to support long stuff they generally wouldn't go that high without having to bodge something to make it work but I've never needed to do that.