My crappy little shop

bleedinblue

• 9 months later...

Fourteen months later I realize I haven't exactly kept up with this, since my original idea was to track my shop progress.  I've added a few things.

I'm bypassing hand tools and clamps, since I really dont remember what I had when I started this and what I've added...

I added the Jet air cleaner.  It does a pretty fantastic job.  At high speed it make the air VISUALLY clear in just a couple minutes.

I got rid of the Craftsman bandsaw for the Rikon.  I had thought having a nice bandsaw would make me use it more.  Nope.  It's still just used for rough cuts and curves.  The extra capacity was vital for resawing the laminates for the Morris chair arms, so I have done SOME resawing with it.  It's a nice machine and I believe it on par with the Laguna, as far as I can tell.

Then there's the Hammer.  I went quickly from debating a nicer 6" jointer to jumping into this thing, but that's all documented in another thread if you have problems going to sleep.  I haven't done any more than test cuts so far.  I literally just calibrated the fence to 90* yesterday.

I rigged up hard piping to the DC for the biggest dust creators.  After changing the configuration it works quite well so far.  

That's basically it.  I'm pretty well decided that this year will bring a Roubo.  My current idea is to modify my main work bench into a ts outfeed table and place the Roubo along the length of the back wall under the sub panel.  I think I want to build a cabinet underneath, take down those hand tool walls, and store all handtools in the Roubo.  

20190108_124531.jpg

20190108_124540.jpg

20190108_124524.jpg

20190108_125135.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chet said:

Shops are an ever evolving thing aren't they.  Its getting to the point were it would now be a major project to paint those walls so I am guessing that ship has sailed.

I am convinced that the shop is as much a part of the hobby as the furniture built is.  The wall paint?  That ship was torpedoed by the wife's Navy and no search and rescue mission has been approved, lol.

• Haha 2

Just now, Chestnut said:

Random question after seeing the droopy line to the drum sander. Why don't you extend the hard line the extra 4 feet and reduce some of that flex hose?

I most likely will.  I'll need to drop a 2x4 from a ceiling joist in the right location, which will probably mean moving the air cleaner out a bit.  Hanging the air cleaner was a real PITA by myself.  Still yet, you're absolutely right and I'll clean that up eventually.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

I most likely will.  I'll need to drop a 2x4 from a ceiling joist in the right location, which will probably mean moving the air cleaner out a bit.  Hanging the air cleaner was a real PITA by myself.  Still yet, you're absolutely right and I'll clean that up eventually.

Is that 2x4 to the left of your drum sander strong enough to use? Extend to that one and cap the end, after all you may use it someday for who knows what, and put a wye at the drum sander. Don't have to mess with the PITA air cleaner and can reduce the droopy flex hose. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Is that 2x4 to the left of your drum sander strong enough to use? Extend to that one and cap the end, after all you may use it someday for who knows what, and put a wye at the drum sander. Don't have to mess with the PITA air cleaner and can reduce the droopy flex hose. Just a thought.

Yup, something like that could work.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Blue, what is the size of your shop?

This photo shows the deminsions.

cRWhGbI.jpg

27 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I object to this qualifying as a little shop, and “crappy” is suspect as well. 

Haha, I titled this somewhat in jest...or maybe it was after looking at some awesome shops.  :unsure:

It's smaller than it seems in the diagram, especially when mid-project and messy.  It's coming along though, and I'm thankful for what I have.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Haha, I titled this somewhat in jest...or maybe it was after looking at some awesome shops.  :unsure:

It's smaller than it seems in the diagram, especially when mid-project and messy.  It's coming along though, and I'm thankful for what I have.

That's awesome!  Not all of us have dream shops so, it's very important to do the best we can with what we have and be happy with it.  

I'm blessed to be in a very nice space now but, have been in smaller shops and was very happy with them because I made them work for me.  

I really like your space and what you've done with it!  You should be proud of your shop!

• Like 1

I have the Jet air cleaner too. I use it after routing (with the hand-held) and sanding, mostly. It works well, and I don't recall ever needing the high setting. Mostly I turn it on for an hour when I'm about to leave for the day.

My shop is about 13x24 so I have space envy :) 

I'd like to put my DC on the wall and then run piping. Lifting it up there by myself then mounting it is the big obstacle. 

38 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I have the Jet air cleaner too. I use it after routing (with the hand-held) and sanding, mostly. It works well, and I don't recall ever needing the high setting. Mostly I turn it on for an hour when I'm about to leave for the day.

I'd like to put my DC on the wall and then run piping. Lifting it up there by myself then mounting it is the big obstacle. 

I'd have preferred to mount mine on the wall too, but that wasnt practical for me either.  I mostly stole this from somewhere online, but this is what I did.

SnL9eKu.jpg

56 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Ha, I've got one more foot in width than you.... I'm boasting:lol:.     

I really like how you set up your shop, it makes sense.  

4 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I separated the motor from the impellor housing it made hanging it from wall much easier.  Then I just put it back together.

motor.JPG.7c1f70034f7b39537a9d5a2be97db085.JPG

On 1/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, Just Bob said:

I really like how you set up your shop, it makes sense.  

I separated the motor from the impellor housing it made hanging it from wall much easier.  Then I just put it back together.

motor.JPG.7c1f70034f7b39537a9d5a2be97db085.JPG

Dang, Bob, that makes wayyyy too much sense! :) And makes the job perhaps not easier, but puts it within reach of a guy who works alone on virtually everything. Thanks!