Ronn W

Flocking

Recommended Posts

I plan to get some flocking from by Donjer (along with glue) . They have both nylon and rayon suede fibers.  Plan to use it for interiors of boxes.  Should I get mylon or rayon?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm betting it will be near impossible to tell the difference. FWIW, I have only used nylon from Flockit.com

I was thinking the same thing.

Ronn I have used the Bonjer Suede Tex product on a couple of bandsaw boxes. I can throw up a few pics or if you'd rather stop by and you can check out the boxes in person and we can talk shop as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be obvious to you, but definitely do it in a location where a mess can be made. The stuff goes everywhere. I used a largish box lined with a big trash bag as my flocking station and I still had stuff go up in the air and all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, minorhero said:

This may be obvious to you, but definitely do it in a location where a mess can be made. The stuff goes everywhere. I used a largish box lined with a big trash bag as my flocking station and I still had stuff go up in the air and all around.

Agreed! I use a big plastic box so I can try and capture and reuse some of the flocking

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only used the Suede Tex rayon from Woodcraft. No complaints on application and has held up well. 

 

I second using a container to apply, this stuff blows everywhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my first try, I was a little too conservative with the glue and had to scrape it down for a re-try. Yeah, this stuff can create a flocking mess!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

On my first try, I was a little too conservative with the glue and had to scrape it down for a re-try. Yeah, this stuff can create a flocking mess!

If you don't have a mess to clean up after, you weren't doing it right  ; )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ronn I meant to show you how the Bonjer Suede Tex product looked on a couple of band saw boxes when you stopped by but totally spaced so here are a couple of pics!

In both of these I flocked the inside of the drawers as well as the under side of the other piece as it helps center the drawer a bit (you can kind of see it on the first pic)

IMG_2505.jpg.34ffb3a1559c8e13e77dda8dcd119364.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg.989aaf8649cdaafb550d135eacaa6b97.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by I know its a bit of a road trip but always like talking shop with other ww's. I plan on implementing your solution for holding my cc sleds this week :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bull crap! You just wanted to show off those beautiful pieces and glad you did:D! The boxes are amazing but I guess that’s a cutting board in the first pic. That is friggin cool!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've lined drawers & boxes with crushed velvet. Wrapped it around laminate scraps w contact cement. Glued each panel in place w hot melt.

I like the 3D keyboard cutting board ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

...I like the 3D keyboard cutting board ! 

Thanks! I always make extras so I have gifts at the ready. That design came from Wood magazine IIRC

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Bull crap! You just wanted to show off those beautiful pieces and glad you did:D! The boxes are amazing but I guess that’s a cutting board in the first pic. That is friggin cool!!!!!

Busted :o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pkinneb said:

 

IMG_2505.jpg.34ffb3a1559c8e13e77dda8dcd119364.jpg

I literally swore out loud when I saw that keyboard cutting board.   I must make one of those.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

I literally swore out loud when I saw that keyboard cutting board.   I must make one of those.....

LOL. One of my daughters was a music major in collage so she really enjoyed it. If you decide to do it there is a fair amount of set up work so make a few extras I made three last year and have one left :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried flocking a couple Christmas's ago.  Same as others have said the Donjer flocking is a mess but it works extremely well.  They offer two methods for application, a hand pump or a compressor driven spray unit.  I opted for the hand pump and after about 8 boxes I got pretty good and not making to big a mess.

bandbox1.jpg

bandbox2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

I tried flocking a couple Christmas's ago.  Same as others have said the Donjer flocking is a mess but it works extremely well.  They offer two methods for application, a hand pump or a compressor driven spray unit.  I opted for the hand pump and after about 8 boxes I got pretty good and not making to big a mess.

Nice!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

LOL. One of my daughters was a music major in collage so she really enjoyed it. If you decide to do it there is a fair amount of set up work so make a few extras I made three last year and have one left :) 

Where did you get the layout design? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now