bushwacked

A set of end tables

Recommended Posts

So next up on my project list is some end tables for my mom ... 

i bought the wood today ... just need help figuring out what color scheme to go with. 

2E58B59F-6639-438C-AEAE-45FDF7E72696.thumb.jpeg.34ec08c6c93b6881ef9c888d7da0aeb6.jpeg

I got walnut, cherry and silver leaf maple. 

I got a design in mind and that is below ... AC73E15A-99A2-4B3B-8F4A-E25C015E534E.thumb.jpeg.57aceff872b68c2293be6dec707b1130.jpeg

i found this online and liked the simplistic look. My main question is about color scheme ..

the main part will be silver leaf maple. I was debating on cherry or walnut on the “styles” and the bottom cross board ... for lack of better terms. 

I think the maple/walnut would look good. I’m not sure if maple cherry would be a big enough contrast. 

Also I could just build full maple too but not sure they would look anything more than a basic piece ... trying to make them pop a little. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maple/walnut is just about as big a contrast as you can get..  It's also hard to go wrong with it.  Cherry/walnut also looks great.  Cherry/maple will look better once the piece ages.

In the end, it's a personal preference and only you can decide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TIODS said:

Maple/walnut is just about as big a contrast as you can get..  It's also hard to go wrong with it.  Cherry/walnut also looks great.  Cherry/maple will look better once the piece ages.

In the end, it's a personal preference and only you can decide.

Thanks for the input ... would a maple/walnut and a cherry/walnut end table look bad as a set? Kinda like you couldn’t find the other matching piece ...?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bushwacked said:

Thanks for the input ... would a maple/walnut and a cherry/walnut end table look bad as a set? Kinda like you couldn’t find the other matching piece ...?? 

It all works together but, for me, it would get too busy and just get more so over time.  Again tho, it's a personal choice.  Build what you want to build and don't let personal opinions of others drive your choices.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go cherry walnut but that's opinion. Maple and i don't really get along all the time. With that style all 1 species would look good as well and would be my vote if it didn't HAVE to be 2 species.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've bought the material you already have the color scheme.  Let the material speak for itself :).  I use mixed materials for color contrast but, it is usually restricted to details and pulls.  The spindles in your example pic could count as details but, that's about the largest ratio of different materials I prefer.

Early on I did some of the "racing strip" type things as I was trying to find my way.  There is certainly a place for mixed material items but, like zebrawood and spalting, it is easy to go overboard.  As always, factor in everyone's comments and ideas, percolate for awhile and then make the project your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maple with Cherry pickets would be subtle. You could assemble the 4 grills and give them a sun tan with a halogen work light before you put the rest of the table together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gee-dub said:

...Early on I did some of the "racing strip" type things as I was trying to find my way.  There is certainly a place for mixed material items but, like zebrawood and spalting, it is easy to go overboard.  As always, factor in everyone's comments and ideas, percolate for awhile and then make the project your own.

X2 this is where I would come out on this as well. I look forward to seeing the piece come together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gee-dub said:

If you've bought the material you already have the color scheme.  Let the material speak for itself :).  I use mixed materials for color contrast but, it is usually restricted to details and pulls.  The spindles in your example pic could count as details but, that's about the largest ratio of different materials I prefer.

Early on I did some of the "racing strip" type things as I was trying to find my way.  There is certainly a place for mixed material items but, like zebrawood and spalting, it is easy to go overboard.  As always, factor in everyone's comments and ideas, percolate for awhile and then make the project your own.

Did someone say racing stripes? Did I show you the box I made for under my monitor a couple weeks ago.... :blink:

5a25ba529b730_IMG_20171204_142900218(Large).jpg.5a52f9474c21fff86d246b8505d4a7fd.thumb.jpg.b084974450da67d375c48375b77113a2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well using walnut as the most visible surface  should be highlighted by the maple frame/legs. Sounds like an attractive design. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished milling up everything ... 0D5FBCF8-83C7-46A8-8E8B-0C99787162F3.thumb.jpeg.7b74c133fc9c518e728a18bc2f454c77.jpeg

 

So I noticed this happening quite a bit when I was on my 3/4 finishing round. Are my feeders broken or are braking? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto Steve's comments..  I use rubbing alcohol to clean the rollers and wax the bed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Ditto Steve's comments..  I use rubbing alcohol to clean the rollers and wax the bed.

+ 1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stronger the solvent the less you use and the greater the risk of swelling/ dissolving the glue. Rubbing alcohol is weaker than denatured, then acetone , lacquer thinner........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too much work that’s fun to look. Finished milling and working on cutting to size now. 

Getting set to cut down the legs to final size and then finish the rest of stuff too. 

7E3C4619-057E-47C4-80B8-F8914A74AAED.thumb.jpeg.44037814f6031785d1cee2a40c162b78.jpeg

 

Hipefully get to start art all the fun stuff tonight after kids are asleep

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing this project's progress!

I love watching things come together from people that know what they're doing LOL!

Can't wait to see more of the progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

Thanks for sharing this project's progress!

I love watching things come together from people that know what they're doing LOL!

Can't wait to see more of the progress!

Haha. I’m not sure I know what I am doing ;)

spent a lot of time measuring out and figureing out where everything goes. 

347662F6-0D6E-45DD-8CC7-159D0F28A5BD.thumb.jpeg.bf9d2bfe9e7d65206b01456999afc494.jpeg

that attachment was such a life saver. Trying to put dominos in 1” x 1/2” wood would really suck without it. 

 

3CE2E70E-AAE9-4524-9EAD-5C78AC296EEF.thumb.jpeg.d167c010854a66adfd7530d57531fc59.jpeg

marking out legs and curtains. 

 

E3ECE37A-EF62-473C-9DE6-A4C956F42A84.thumb.jpeg.60a69e7429e808de9f91e4aa39267037.jpeg591FEA06-B191-4634-A878-B3AC03034D47.thumb.jpeg.82082e52a26400a09942420814d1c9ec.jpeg

marked out on 1 side and ready now just 3 more  and time to move on to marking out the bottom board attachment and finish the other stretcher/curtain attachments. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That domino accessory is handy on occasion. It's great for multiple picket type projects.  But I find the cross stop accessory useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

That domino accessory is handy on occasion. It's great for multiple picket type projects.  But I find the cross stop accessory useless.

Haha. Yes that cross stop is junk 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting some more work done ...

C012EC01-10BC-46BE-B06C-C07357294FEA.thumb.jpeg.88709f95cc2618784735d03b67ef3dbc.jpeg

working on top layout and seeing what looks best  think I got a good fit finally after messing with it for a bit. Then glueing it up...

37EB403D-CD5A-46C1-8A8B-1DDC009F50D3.thumb.jpeg.d999f8877294ea6111056784dfc59255.jpeg

 

 

E28A3FDB-62AF-45EC-B51B-44910CB0A707.thumb.jpeg.9a00ee476830b71ab260e4179abab95b.jpeg

 

Dry fit the base. Went together pretty well I am happy with it. 

D4AA8E8A-C66C-457F-9834-FDA5EC4BCDDB.thumb.jpeg.33fd22eb45813e230deb46b33916fcb9.jpeg

Rounding over edges after the dry fit. 

 

Going to be out of the shop for about 2 weeks though. Had a spot of basal cell carcinoma removed and no lifting over 10 pounds and have to keep it really clean.

post op pic. The sun can suck it!! Took out about a nickel size and depth plus extra skin to make the stitching up flatter instead of wrinkling  up. Gotta keep that pressure bandage on for 2 days the  I clean and redress once a day for a week until next appointment to see how healing is going. 

0DD0B167-27FB-4D70-90D6-6FDC3765C47B.thumb.jpeg.4474100d4bf32bacf0a3990e7a6dc775.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that the best excuse you can come up with for staying out of the shop. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now