Computers in the shop -- Dust protection?

MisterDrow

floppy drive, cdrom drive... going to be messed up by dust.   We don't really use those much any more, so...

Otherwise computers can handle dust... shouldn't be a problem.   Just have to blow it out periodically with compressed air and a vacuum.   Too much dust on heatsinks can cause them to not work effectively.

If you're concerned, you can toss a sheet over it when doing dusty operations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

floppy drive, cdrom drive... going to be messed up by dust.   We don't really use those much any more, so...

Otherwise computers can handle dust... shouldn't be a problem.   Just have to blow it out periodically with compressed air and a vacuum.   Too much dust on heatsinks can cause them to not work effectively.

If you're concerned, you can toss a sheet over it when doing dusty operations.

Yeah, I don't need any drives except for an internal one. I guess as long as I run dust collection and an air filtration system a simple monthly blow-out should be sufficient. 

2 minutes ago, I B said:

What kind of stuff are you looking to use it for? Music, light internet BS, maybe some sketchup?

Music, sketchup (though most of that will be on my laptop so the garage will just be to open and reference plans), and I'm considering starting streaming, as well.

Mine is in an enclosure box made from birch ply. It has an access cover on the front and one also on the rear to allow insertion of the pc and access to the connectors. These are held on with quick release spring latches. There is a seal made from o ring material to seal both the covers from dust ingress.

The front cover has a square hole cut into it. On this I have mounted a metal mesh filter screen. This sandwiches layers of filter material made from an old but clean dust filter from my AirShield Pro to catch wood dust.

The rear cover has a pc fan mounted over a round hole pulling the filtered air through from the front filter assembly and through the now enclosed pc to keep it cool. All cables run through a hole that is sealed with duct tape on the rear panel.

The top of the box is simply screwed to a piece of birch ply and the whole lot has a few coats of finish. Then the box is mounted onto a set of legs essentially forming a table. The monitor is placed on top. The keyboard and mouse is wireless so no cables needed.

Sounds a bit over the top but it prevents the pc from getting full of wood dust and becoming a potential fire risk.

I cover the monitor with some canvas sheets when not in use or when doing heavy machining operations to keep the dust down.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Hit it with compressed air duster every 3-6 months. I have had a laptop in my shop and after 3 years never had any issues with it. Is it a laptop or old style desktop?

I was thinking a small mid-level desktop but I'd probably be using my old macbook in the interim. I've got a silicone keyboard protector I could put on it to help with keeping dust out of the keys if need be.

About twenty years or so ago, I worked in a small computer repair shop, way before I was into woodworking.  A commercial customer of ours brought in their PC to get some upgrades done to it.  Apparently it was a wood shop and I would now swear they had it positioned right beside their planer's discharge vent.  It was making some weird noises when I booted it up to quickly check it over.   When I opened it up to get inside, it was about 3/4 full of dust and chips, some of which were on/in the cooling fans, which explained the noises.   The customer state it had been making those noises for years. 

So yeah, a computer will do ok in a dusty environment, to a point.  And yes, it may have been 20 years ago, but the general designs in PC's hasn't changed much since then.  

If you're really concerned, a cheap fix is to get dust filters for all your fans.  They are only a couple bucks each, and can easily be screwed in between the fan and the mount.  Most off the shelf machines might have one, maybe two fans, and the power supply would have another.  But the power supply fans usually blow out, and the other's blow in (usually), so you'd really only have to cover the easily accessible ones.  

And opening the case and giving it a once over with the air hose would be a good idea.  

The worst part of it is the screen.  My machine is in the shop, and a thin layer slowly forms on the screen.  One light touch and the dirt is then very noticeable, requiring a full wipe down.     

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have seen the entire computer case inside a filter fabric bag. I think they had added extra fans too. 

Unless one of the fans was actively forcing air in or out through that filter, that's a really bad idea.  Might as well put the machine in a sleeping bag.  Overheated components will kill a machine faster than dust will.   All that will do is recirculate already warm air back into the machine. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:58 PM, Marmotjr said:

About twenty years or so ago, I worked in a small computer repair shop, way before I was into woodworking.  A commercial customer of ours brought in their PC to get some upgrades done to it.  Apparently it was a wood shop and I would now swear they had it positioned right beside their planer's discharge vent.  It was making some weird noises when I booted it up to quickly check it over.   When I opened it up to get inside, it was about 3/4 full of dust and chips, some of which were on/in the cooling fans, which explained the noises.   The customer state it had been making those noises for years. 

So yeah, a computer will do ok in a dusty environment, to a point.  And yes, it may have been 20 years ago, but the general designs in PC's hasn't changed much since then.  

If you're really concerned, a cheap fix is to get dust filters for all your fans.  They are only a couple bucks each, and can easily be screwed in between the fan and the mount.  Most off the shelf machines might have one, maybe two fans, and the power supply would have another.  But the power supply fans usually blow out, and the other's blow in (usually), so you'd really only have to cover the easily accessible ones.  

And opening the case and giving it a once over with the air hose would be a good idea.  

The worst part of it is the screen.  My machine is in the shop, and a thin layer slowly forms on the screen.  One light touch and the dirt is then very noticeable, requiring a full wipe down.     

20 years ago the fans were larger and could tolerate larger chips and more dust. Today's smaller fans would, I suspect, get blocked up more easily.

Also 20 years ago systems were more concerned about hard drive heat. If you've not upgraded to a SSD, do so. It will cut the heat generated inside the laptop and make for less stress on the laptop or desktop computer cooling system. Plus, a good one is more reliable than a mechanical drive.

• Like 1