Probably The Longest Roubo Build EVER

pridmore

9 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Have you clicked "check out" with the bc hardware in your cart? I didn't call that fun! 

Once the sticker shock is gone, the fun starts. Congrats

Sticker shock is right. I just finished up buying all materials for my Roubo build. My wife is not happy with how much this bench is costing. 

On 1/31/2018 at 7:56 AM, pridmore said:

Benchcrafted vises ordered.

Wood guy contacted.

Clock starts now. At my current project rate, I will finish in about 2.6 years.

I am setting up to start mine very soon. Everything is bought.

Good luck and enjoy the build. I've been thinking again about how much I'd like to build one - I hope to at some point, but I need to be sure I can carve out the time.  Also, I have a small jointer so I'd have to put some thought into how I'd joint those large boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Benchcrafted harware is here.

Only relative "hangup" is the lumber at this point. My local guy is currently out of hard maple and has air dried soft maple in 8/4 that hasn't hit the kiln yet to finish it off. He does have 3" thick ash slabs and all the 8/4 oak i could want.

What are you guys' thoughts?

I went hard maple, just because it was almost the same price as the other options and I couldn't see a down side. Soft maple should be fine, if not quite as dent resistant, but even the hard maple bench has gotten its share of dents. I would think the open pores on the oak might be less desirable on a bench top, but I'm not sure it matters that much. I know a couple of the guys have ash benches and are quite happy with them.

1 hour ago, pridmore said:

Benchcrafted harware is here.

Only relative "hangup" is the lumber at this point. My local guy is currently out of hard maple and has air dried soft maple in 8/4 that hasn't hit the kiln yet to finish it off. He does have 3" thick ash slabs and all the 8/4 oak i could want.

What are you guys' thoughts?

In my opinion I would go with what you want. This will be a bench you use for a very long time and settling for a species to me isnt worth it. What kind of lead time does your guy have on the hard maple? Trying looking at European Beech. That is what I decided on for my bench. Beech properties are almost identical to hard maple. I paid $5/bf for Beech, which is quite cheaper than maple in my area.

On 2/1/2018 at 2:47 PM, MattF said:

Sticker shock is right. I just finished up buying all materials for my Roubo build. My wife is not happy with how much this bench is costing. 

I am setting up to start mine very soon. Everything is bought.

Yep, mine is coming in at close to 2 grand for hard maple and BC hardware.  It’s good for life though, if I use it for another 20 years that’s only $100/year.  Should have built it sooner!

22 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Yep, mine is coming in at close to 2 grand for hard maple and BC hardware.  It’s good for life though, if I use it for another 20 years that’s only $100/year.  Should have built it sooner!

That's about what I have into mine as well. I agree with you on building it sooner, I wish I had as well.

39 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

15 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That's about what I have into mine as well. I agree with you on building it sooner, I wish I had as well.

Ditto here! About 2k for hardware and material. Used the project as excuse to buy other tools. Also picked up a nice set of Forster and Brad point bits. And a jointer.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Using my makeshift face vise of pipe clamps last night had me really wanting some nice BC hardware. 2k is a lot but it doesn't seem terrible when most of the high end tools in people's shops are more than that. TS, jointer, planer.

Don't forget that these benches will more than likely out last any power tool.

2 minutes ago, MattF said:

Don't forget that these benches will more than likely out last any power tool.

Maybe ... I think they both need to be taken care of to last a lifetime.

I wonder if it'd be really silly to buy the hardware and install it on my junk pine bench until i make the Roubo.

52 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I wonder if it'd be really silly to buy the hardware and install it on my junk pine bench until i make the Roubo.

I thought long and hard about doing the same thing. In the end I was too busy doing other projects around the house to build a bench until now.