"Minor" Shop Overhaul

wnaziri

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I looked into that Harvey DC a few days ago. The CFM kinda limits it to being moved between machines or a very simple duct system. I've learned to let the early adopters take the hit and see what the consensus is in a few years. 

The sound levels look impressive but I haven't heard one running yet.

Agreed... The good thing about my setup is with the combo machine, I have less ducts to run. And since it's beside my TS, that's one main drop for the "big 3" (although it's the big two :) )

The CFM is the biggest appeal for me. I think rockler is going to sell them, maybe they will have one in the store to play with.

3 hours ago, wnaziri said:

Having the cart makes using the combo device really easy because it lets you keep your lumber close by and organized.

Agreed! I don't have a cart, but I do keep a small assembly table by the combo machine and I use that to put boards on while milling them. I do need to make a cart, or three... I'd like to keep project parts with each other during the process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krtwood said:

Four "if you have to ask you can't afford it" tools and Nordfab ducting.  But the thought of buying two gallons of paint and you're like, gosh, I don't know if I want to invest that much into making my shop nicer.  Really got to think this one through.  Don't want to rush into a big commitment like that.

That ship got torpedoed in the harbor and rebuilt already.

Well said but cost of the paint is not the real issue.  The issue is the time and effort spent beautifying a building that I may move out of when and if I decide to build my own shop.  When I spend time in the shop, I really want to use it to do projects.  My time can be limited and I want to make the most of it.  I am on call (translate: can't spend much time in the shop) every other week.  However, I do really appreciate an impeccable workspace.  We shall see how I feel as I make more progress in my shop overhaul.

Screwing a few sheets of white melamine along the wall would be a quick way to brighten up the space. Easy to remove when you leave too. There are 1/4 ply white faced sheets available too. I had the landlord spray the entire warehouse white before I moved in. My previous shop was a photographers before me & already came painted.

Incredible shop!  One of these days I hope/plan to have something like that...

Regarding changing over between planer/jointer modes, I have a newer Hammer A3/31, which has no motorized assistance.  It takes maybe 40 seconds to make the switch and most of that is winding down the planer bed.  Someone's suggestion of drill powered assistance sounds interesting, but the pace I work at and the quantity of work I do is so low and slow that I likely wouldn't even bother with that.  For me the benefit of a compact machine, and so much capacity for the price (relative to equivalent quality standalone machines) made the decision very easy.  My only real complaints on my machine are the relatively short jointer beds, which can be addressed with bed extensions, and the somewhat flimsy fence, but that is a discussion for another thread.

11 hours ago, wnaziri said:

Well said but cost of the paint is not the real issue.  The issue is the time and effort spent beautifying a building that I may move out of when and if I decide to build my own shop.  When I spend time in the shop, I really want to use it to do projects.  My time can be limited and I want to make the most of it.  I am on call (translate: can't spend much time in the shop) every other week.  However, I do really appreciate an impeccable workspace.  We shall see how I feel as I make more progress in my shop overhaul.

I can tell you from experience that we make it out to be more effort and time than it really is.  I spent over 10 years in my shop with uninsulated basement walls because it was too much hassle and I'm going to be moving soon anyway.  Best time and money I ever spent once I finally did it.

I'm going to stand by my opinion not to bother with painting.  That kind of thing always looks worse in pictures than in reality.   If would be different it it belonged to him, but I wouldn't put any effort into it, unless I owned it.  Then I would have painted it before I moved anything into it.

It's not like that sheetrock is anywhere near ready for paint anyway, and some of it is pretty high off the floor.    Paint on poorly finished sheetrock is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I have finishing sheetrock down to an efficient science, and expect perfection, but will still go to lengths to avoid it. 

It's a temporary space, owned by someone else.  Then there are the other walls that don't even have anything on them.

4 hours ago, krtwood said:

I spent over 10 years in my shop with uninsulated basement walls because it was too much hassle and I'm going to be moving soon anyway.  Best time and money I ever spent once I finally did it.

I  understand what your saying but you a made your basement look better and that helps when you sell.  The Op will be spending time and money on a place that's not his and get nothing in return when he moves on.

• Like 1