Nakashima inspired coffee table

Dknapp34

An extreeeeeemly refreshing change from all the plastic-filled 'river tables' I've been seeing of late. That piece of wood has some real character, and your execution has made it a natural focal point. I like the dutchmen, too. Ebony? Whatever the species, the dark color really compliments the walnut. Glad you didn't go with white maple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

An extreeeeeemly refreshing change from all the plastic-filled 'river tables' I've been seeing of late. That piece of wood has some real character, and your execution has made it a natural focal point. I like the dutchmen, too. Ebony? Whatever the species, the dark color really compliments the walnut. Glad you didn't go with white maple.

Thanks! The Dutchmen are rosewood.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve taken slabs down before and not an easy chore. Bet you were amazed and relieved when you got to flat. 

Flat is relative. This one got flat enough so that I could muscle it flat with some bolts when attached to the base. Part of the problem was that there was a huge crack where the dutchmen are and the sides were curling up around the crack. When I filled the crack with epoxy, I actually glued it into a permanent cup, which caused me to lose a lot of thickness to get rid of. Had I to do it over again, I would have clamped the slab flat before filling the crack with epoxy, which I think would have helped to keep it flatter. 

22 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Yeah I would have been very happy to find that after flattening as well. Beautiful piece

That's one of the things I love so much about wood. These slabs were fugly in the rough. I genuinely had no idea what I was going to find until I took them down with the router sled. It's always a gamble when you buy some cletus slabs off craigslist, but this one paid off, I think. Also, I have another sequentially-cut slab waiting for a project. Just need to figure out how I want to use it. 

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Every man and his dog seem to be doing these. I like some of them but it's getting a bit much. The part that I don't get is that you'd have to spend $200 or more on epoxy to make it work.

I love the crazy grain on the top. Timber does some interesting stuff. 

• Like 1