Sketchup vs. ??

Mark J

Reading through the post:  Sketchup 2018, it's good to see that Sketchup Make 2017 is still available.  But it also seems that there are a lot of alternative design programs.

For those who don't have a huge investment in Sketchup maybe it's time to consider a succesor or at least an alternative.  What would that be?

The old versions of sketcup will always be available, i don't really see any reason to move to something new. The parts warehouse if it gets put behind a  paywall is only a part of the program something that really isn't even needed. The basic nature of the program is pretty solid and outside of new features probably doesn't need to ever change. If the upgrade is for upgrades sake I'd reconsider and just stick with it.

I still much prefer the predecessor strait 3d Autocad. I think it's faster and a lot more flexible but it has a learning curve.

Fusion 360 is a good option.

Also

https://www.easyrender.com/rendering-software/7-best-3d-modeling-programs-like-sketchup

Yeah, I'm not a big one for upgrades.  I'm still running Office 2000.  Has the English language evolved so much that I need a new word processor.

Thanks for the run down on the software, Nut.  I'm gonna peruse that web article later.  I was thinking of looking into Fusion 360.  Is it easier to use than Sketchup?

For me the best thing about SketchUp is its versatility. I can quickly explore a concept, see it from any angle and show what the concept will look like to someone who doesn't understand technical drawings. I think of this as a cleaner version of a "napkin sketch". That doesn't take long and unlike a hand drawn sketch, the model can be changed, copied and modified so that I (or my client) can compare different versions side by side, again from any point of view.

I can then take that concept sketch and use parts of it to generate an accurate, detailed model without much fuss. From a completed model I can generate any type of 2 dimensional output in the form of measured drawings or artistic renderings. The model contains complete information about each and every part, and I can retrieve that information to generate an accurate cutlist with a few clicks of the mouse.

There are methods and other software programs that do some of these things, but SketchUp is the most complete solution to design/engineering/problem-solving/presentation/project management.

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

I want to try linix in the near future.  I may hit you up for some advice.

My preferred desktop distribution is Ubuntu Linux, with the KDE Desktop environment. It isn't the fastest out there, but has good support for all sorts of video and audio hardware, and is pretty easy to use. 

I suggest downloading a "live" installer image from here that lets you boot from dvd or usb to try it out befor installing on your hard disk.

14 hours ago, Mark J said:

Yeah, I'm not a big one for upgrades.  I'm still running Office 2000.  Has the English language evolved so much that I need a new word processor.

Thanks for the run down on the software, Nut.  I'm gonna peruse that web article later.  I was thinking of looking into Fusion 360.  Is it easier to use than Sketchup?

No it's not but you can do more with it. If sketchup is a pencil and paper Fusion 360 is a drafting table. If you have any CAD experience it will translate through to Fusion 360. Also autodesk has free tutorials on Fusion 360 that are quite helpful.

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

For those of us that prefer *nix operating systems, FreeCAD is a very powerful up-and-comer. Still under rapid development, though. New features and/or changes happen pretty often.

I've dabbled with that, i have a friend that is HUGE in linux. He made me try FreeCAD and it's dang good. Not too far from the Autodesk product that rules the drafting world.

9 hours ago, Mark J said:

I want to try linix in the near future.  I may hit you up for some advice.

Do what  Ross said my only addition is too look into the LTS (Long Term Support) version This way you won't get forced to upgrade in 18 months. Also Ubuntu Mate is good for older computers that can't quite hack modern bloated operating systems. The thing that i love about linux now is they've solved for the most part the driver and software issue. You can just install stuff like you can on windows and they support 99.9% of devices. Honestly their driver support is better than windows. Linux still has it's quirks that sometime get me pretty fired up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Check easywoodworkingdesign.com. This is new woodworking software that is designed for a lay person with no cad experience and has a minimal learning curve. You define a board and it will draw it for you. It allows you to connect boards together with a click of an icon plus having many other useful features. You can print your assemblies and related reports and take them to the workshop. You can go from a project concept to a detailed 2-D design with the least amount of design time than any other product. This software is also a complete project management system and it is the easiest woodworking design software on the market.

• 1 year later...

I haven't much to add to the above discussion. 

The easywoodworkingdesign.com mentioned in the post above sounds interesting, but I haven't laid eyes on it.

Since starting this thread I have begun using Fusion 360 in addition to Sketchup.   Taking into consideration the tutorials available for both, and my complete lack of any CAD background, I find F360 more difficult to use/understand, and I have only achieved the least mastery of it. 

If I were designing a piece of furniture I would prefer to use Sketchup, but for designing the turned objects I make, I use F360 because it can draw true circles where circles in Sketchup are actually polygons.  

So I think it depends on what you're gonna do and what training and experience you can call upon.  For Sketchup there is @Bob Lang  's excellent interactive ebook.  I wish there was a community college course on F360.  

I'll offer that Sketchup is much easier to get started with. But the power of programmable parametric CAD applications, like Fusion, Inventor, or FreeCAD, really comes to light when you build a detailed model, then want to change a dimension or its proportions. Relating the dimensions of one part to another, by simple ratios or by complex algorithms, allows such quick changes, it is amazing.

I ran across the book, 'Measure Twice, Cut Once' by Jim Tolpin, by accident recently.  Great read, I'm about halfway through.  The first printing of the book came out during SketchUp's infancy and while he does mention it, he does everything from design to Master Cut Lists mechanically.

Has any of the woodworking schools gone to SketchUp instead of using traditional mechanical drawings? 

Some of the programs mentioned, at least AutoCad, would still require you to create Cut Lists, etc. on your own - correct?   

https://www.amazon.com/Measure-Twice-Cut-Once-Woodworking-ebook/dp/B0056JSKRU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=measure+twice+cut+once&qid=1627522006&sr=8-2

• Like 1