Sculptured Chair

Bmac

Welcome! Interested to see this one progress. You seem pretty far long in your woodworking journey and after a point it gets more difficult to get worthwhile critiques. In MN they do a judged show once a year Cremona recently entered and shared the critique on his highboy. I was happy to see the constructive comments he judges gave him Way more detailed than what he'd have gotten from social media.

I can't really see the grain in the pictures but focusing on grain matching can have a huge impact on the final outcome. I've only been doing this a few years and it's what i struggle with the most. Also you mentioned working a lot from plans, moving outside the comfort zone again to self designed projects using what you've learned design wise from the plans can help think about projects in a different way as well.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Welcome! Interested to see this one progress. You seem pretty far long in your woodworking journey and after a point it gets more difficult to get worthwhile critiques. In MN they do a judged show once a year Cremona recently entered and shared the critique on his highboy. I was happy to see the constructive comments he judges gave him Way more detailed than what he'd have gotten from social media.

I can't really see the grain in the pictures but focusing on grain matching can have a huge impact on the final outcome. I've only been doing this a few years and it's what i struggle with the most. Also you mentioned working a lot from plans, moving outside the comfort zone again to self designed projects using what you've learned design wise from the plans can help think about projects in a different way as well.

Thanks for the input. I agree, I'm pretty far along in my journey and I understand it may be difficult to get worthwhile critiques in a forum, but doing this is getting me out of my comfort zone and that is a good thing.

Your points about grain matching is just the kind of stuff I'd love feedback on. As for using plans, it's funny that I just started using them the past 3-4 years. I think it has a lot to do with my affinity to do chairs. Designing my own chair would be a challenge.

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Welcome! I look forward to following along. I found Scott's video's very helpful when I built my sculpted bar stools last year.

Yes, Scott does a nice job.

It was your journal last year on the stools that inspired me to do mine. My 3 stools took a few months and were a challenge. I think you had stools without arms, correct? My plan included the arms.

2 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Designing my own chair would be a challenge.

I have to go back through and watch again but marc's videos on dining room chairs has a good design section in it. I'd love to find an instructor that was willing to put a course on just design. It'd be awesome for Marc to put it out but i understand that teaching design is difficult and may not be his thing. I should send him feedback or a suggestion see if he is receptive to it.

Welcome to the forums

Chairs, rockers, stools and such are things that at this point I have no real interest in building.  But I do enjoy watching the process of other people's building process, you can still pick up ideas for other projects.  Already, the idea of leaving material out of the seat that is just going to get removed down the road...

Looking forward to following this.

Very cool build, look forward to following.  I built the Maloof Rocker last year and it was a great project to learn new sculpting skills.  Like you said there is a lot of waste when you build this style of chair!  I want to build some bar stools for my pool room so I look forward to following your build.

Thank you for the clarification, I used rasps also, not files, I edited the post above. Got my terminology confused.

As for the sculpting wheels on the angle grinder, I've used those and they are good, but they produce a ton of dust and make a total mess in my shop. The Festool RAS 115 has some dust collecting ability, though not perfect, and when you use it with 25 grit paper it will chew up wood pretty fast. When I did my Maloof lowback Chairs I used the instructional video by Charles Brock and he is the one that touted the use of the RAS. Marc in his sculptured rocker tutorial discussed the RAS but he preferred the angle grinder. Having used both and having both I have been grabbing the RAS almost exclusively now. Also the RAS is not as aggressive, I think that really helps to get smooth lines/curves.

Great progress so far, I look forward to following along. Not sure I remember watching one of these builds before but it looks very maloofish. I should love it.

Since it's in your original post that you make your own lumber, I would like to hear about your milling/drying strategy.  It often comes up about cutting drying and more info to draw on from people who are doing it successfully is always helpful.

6 hours ago, pkinneb said:

So Bmac in the photo below you would sand and scrap the area that is tight, lightly until you get the fit you want?

451124956_Teachair12.JPG.62b3dc0eb34069b973efcce06b6b6a1b.JPG

Pretty much sand/scrap area to improve fit and then take it all the way home with clamping pressure.

The area I have trouble with consistently is were the roundover meets the side of the leg. If your eye follows the gap to the side of the leg you see the gap eventually disappears, when I take the leg out of the joint I see an area of shine/burnished wood. Also if I run my hand over the area the roundover has the slightest lip or edge to it. Likely from not having the router bit perfectly positioned. This lip or edge is always right at the shine/burnished area. In the past I've adjusted the height of the bit in the router to improve the fit but I can never seem to get it perfect. I have found it's just easier to do some minor adjusting. Once I adjust that lip/edge off it usually just about goes home, then clamping does the rest.

I will plan to show what I'm explaining in some photos because maybe someone has some insight for me to do this better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Great progress so far, I look forward to following along. Not sure I remember watching one of these builds before but it looks very maloofish. I should love it.

Since it's in your original post that you make your own lumber, I would like to hear about your milling/drying strategy.  It often comes up about cutting drying and more info to draw on from people who are doing it successfully is always helpful.

Ok, now this is a topic I love to talk about but have stayed out of the conversation in this forum. I know I've read different thoughts and beliefs on this here. Bottom line is if I have my preference, I much rather would build with air dried lumber.

I've milled my own wood for years, air drying and never worrying too much about it. When I bring my wood into my somewhat controlled shop environment my wood is usually sitting at 12-14%. A few months in my shop and I'm usually down to 9-10%. For projects I cut out my pieces and do rough milling and stickering in between. When I build I just know that I need to build with the idea that my wood will move, and shouldn't we all build that way?

This chair is a great example of were the wood will move and it really shouldn't affect the build. This chair should allow, for the most part, the freedom for the wood to  move.

I mill most of my wood at 10/4. This allows my to resaw for book matched panels and gives me good sized boards for chair builds. Also milling thicker minimizes the waste from my chainsaw mill. I'm not really a slabber and live edged slabs don't interest me much. Only live edge slabs when I've got crotch wood.

Wouldn't you love access to wood like this for hardly any expense? Just need patience. You can see I've got a straight edge on this log, makes it much easier to break down in the shop.

milling1.thumb.JPG.e60527817ca235e4a412a2907806376c.JPG

This is mostly walnut, has sat for 2 years.

1017904999_lumberstack.JPG.eedd50a0358d053ed86e75341b92520b.JPG

I'm with you on preferring to use air dried lumber. It works slightly different but in a good way. I'd love to mill my own lumber but the thing that holds me back is time. It's so much easier to drive to the lumber store and pull off a stack of boards that are ready to go than it is to mill and wait for it to dry. I've cut up some small logs on my band saw for fun species like Boxelder or other non-comercial lumber.

I never knew how flexible air dried was vs kiln dried until i tried to break a small off cut from some air dried ash i have. I bent it in half and it still didn't break.

40 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Thanks for the write up. How long do you typically leave your 10/4 stock in the shed stickered? 

The answer is typically 2 years, but it's more nuanced than that. I try to get 2 drying seasons. When I say drying seasons, I mean March/April to Oct/Nov here in the Mid-Atlantic. So if I mill wood and put it up in Feb, a year and a half later it should be good to go. Other important things to know is that oak tends to dry more slowly and I might leave that out a little longer. But oak is not a species I do much with, walnut and cherry are pretty easy to dry.

I've milled enough now that my stock is able to sit longer because I've got a good supply. But sitting longer outside doesn't get it any drier. The lowest I can get my wood outside is that 12-14% and that typically takes 2 drying seasons.