Buying a router plane.

Coyote Jim

I am in "need" of a router plane and there is no good reason not to get a nice one so I think I will be buying the Veritas one.

Here is a link to it on Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=52609&cat=1,41182,48945&ap=1

My question to you fine people is: Are there any of the accessories I should get with it now or just wait till I need them?

For instance: The fence sounds like a good add on, I don't have an immediate need for that fence though. Will I have wished I would have bought it in the future? Should I get a 1/4" blade now or wait till I need it?

I'm looking to learn from the mistakes of others because I will not live long enough to make them all myself.

The sharpening jig is included. I'd get the fence it's $10 if you use it twice it's probably worth it. The tool will last a long time so using it twice might not be a stretch.

If i got a balde it would be the 3/32 so i could touch up grooves that are fit for undersized plywood.

• Thanks 1

I have been real happy with my Veritas router plan and in the time I have had it I have never wished I had a fence for it, in fact until you mentioned it I didn't know it existed. :P  I have the 1/4 inch blade and since I put it in a couple of years ago I have never taken it out again.  Just seems to work of most of my needs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coyote Jim said:

It says it come with the sharpening jig. Is that what you are talking about or is there something in addition to that I should be looking at?

Nope, that's the one.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The sharpening jig is included.

No fair.   I had to buy mine.  Of course the router plane was a lot cheaper back then so I can't complain.

Of course, maybe it's been long enough that I just don't remember correctly :wacko:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd get the fence it's $10 if you use it twice it's probably worth it.

There is a lot of wisdom there Chestnut. In fact, I take back 3 of the things I said about you. ;)

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate having the ability to pop in these forums and good and trusted advise.

1 hour ago, Coyote Jim said:

There is a lot of wisdom there Chestnut. In fact, I take back 3 of the things I said about you. ;)

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate having the ability to pop in these forums and good and trusted advise.

Only 3! I guess that's a start.

Thanks to you both for the info !  What exactly is that blue handled thing called ? It looks vaguely familiar but I know I don't have one.

I have used a very strong magnet ( 125 lb pull 1.5 dia X 1" thick ) as a handle when trying to hone awkward to hold blades. But all the ground metal sticks to the bit & requires constant cleaning. At $45 each its only practical if you already have one. I got a 2nd quality one on sale just because I like to play with magnets. If you ever need to remove a disc magnet from a steel cup when you are test fitting just use a stronger magnet and it lifts right out.

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Thanks to you both for the info !  What exactly is that blue handled thing called ? It looks vaguely familiar but I know I don't have one.

I bought one of those (different brand) for holding an awl for punching holes in q-deck. Saves the hands from misplaced hammer blows & vibration shock.

9 hours ago, derekcohen said:

The Veritas Router Plane is excellent. The fence is valuable, and it will be used, just not a lot of the time. If you are into inlay, the inlay head is helpful. I've used it to lay out mortices. Again, this is not a need-to-buy-now item.

I would not bother with the spear or V-point blade. I have not found a use for it where a sharp square blade is available. I use the 1/2" a lot for hinge mortices, and the 1/4" after than. They are essential purchases. Get smaller blades as well if you plan inlay.

It is important to plan for sharpening. I developed a system for router plane blades that is simply better than anything else - see for yourself:

Article:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/SharpeningRouterPlaneBlades.html

That is some awesome info Derek. I am going to do it once I have that plane in hands.

Quick question for you though. In your link there is a picture of what looks like a home made router plane. That plane looks to have some very nice hardware. Is that plane a home made one? And where did you get the hardware for it if it is?

I had been looking for router plane hardware kit so I could make one myself but could not find any. I wanted something a bit better than the hex wrench/eye bolt method I have seen.

10 hours ago, derekcohen said:

and in fact was intended to motivate them to build the Medium (I have done a lot of pre-production testing for Lee Valley over the years).

wait-who-the-hell-are-you.jpg.118decd7eef2a1105f8ccbe1b3dbfd9f.jpg

Are you a woodworking wizard? After seeing your Apothecary Chest build I just assumed you were a very talented and practiced woodworker. You know, the kind of woodworker that legends are told about. It seems to me that there is more though. Like you are on the Rob Cosman or Norm Abram level.

Well whoever you are, I appreciate you coming down and sharing your wisdom with us common folk.

(P.S. How did your chest fare in the West Australian Wood Show? You kind of left us hanging.)

:D

Jim, thanks for the compliment! I'm just a weekend warrior, but I have been building furniture and tools for about 30 years. I write about my adventures (and mishaps :mellow:). My website is linked below. I've always believed that if you persevere you can do anything. 

The router plane is an easy build. Try making this bridle plough plane (it was featured in FWW magazine a few years ago) ..

111.jpg

114.jpg

Sorry, that is just showing off. But, like with many things, once someone does what seemed before to be too difficult, others follow and find it not so much so.

The apothecary chest? It did not place. I think it got to the finals. I wrote up a short summary of the Show here: http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/messages.pl/page/2/md/read/id/519238/sbj/west-australian-woodshow-2018/

The chest, for those that do not visit the "Advanced Woodworking" forum on this website ...

image.jpg

Drawers curve and all dovetailing done on the curve ...

7a.jpg

There is a full collection of the build chapters on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html   (scan down to Apothecary Chest).

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2