Eastern Washington area

Chip Sawdust

Brand new to the forum, been woodworking off and on for years. I guess I'm intermediate. Bought my first router in the late 70.

Just added a Laguna 1412 to my tool collection and with a lathe I'll have a pretty complete shop. Love working G&G projects but using quartersawn white oak with ebony instead of mahogany.

Always looking for ideas, tips, suggestions and constructive criticism.

1 minute ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Brand new to the forum, been woodworking off and on for years. I guess I'm intermediate. Bought my first router in the late 70.

Just added a Laguna 1412 to my tool collection and with a lathe I'll have a pretty complete shop. Love working G&G projects but using quartersawn white oak with ebony instead of mahogany.

Always looking for ideas, tips, suggestions and constructive criticism.

Welcome to the forum!.  I live on the left side of WA.  There are several of us over  here and I can think of at least 1 in central Wa.  Give us a shop tour, and I am a fan of G&G would like to see some of your projects!  WTO has a lot of great people with a ton of knowledge to share, glad you decided to join!

Bob

Hey thanks Bob, I used to live in Magnolia back in the late 80s while I finished my degree at UW. But I'm happy to be on the less crowded side of the state! 

I do have pics to post and that's a good suggestion. I'll get some up later on today. Here's one shot of part of my busy (messy) work area...

CD30C4BD-FB3B-43A4-BD95-847DF90364FB.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice work.  

My squeeze and I frequent Lincoln City as well; we love the Oregon (and Washington and Northern, Central and Southern Cal) coast - I'm writing this with "feet up" in San Diego at my daughter's apartment where we're dog watching.

It looks to me like you'll be coaching us (or at least me) on technique very soon.

• 2 months later...

So I'm still here... Been making progress on the bed frame. Bought a new LN block plane which inspired me :) 

Had trouble getting the miters closed when the 12 spindles and two stiles were in place. The spindles have a normal tenon on the bottom and a double tenon on top, the larger one being tapered. Never built that before. Got it to fit! Can't say the new plane fixed that, but it got me off my butt and got stuff done! 

4FE06E8E-432A-444D-AAA7-49E7B7E72B14.jpeg

54F7EE27-4DFE-450C-AE19-6CFE2D7357CE.jpeg

1EFCC970-5D98-446F-B966-8A441A9388B7.jpeg

Lots of hand work to smooth the corners on all parts. It is a bed, after all, and I don't want it to hurt us! All corners/edges have been planed on the headboard, tomorrow a little sanding and cut spline slots on the miters. Once it's all fitted, I'll pre-finish a couple parts prior to assembly. Then I'll do the same process on the footboard. 

I'll bandsaw the cloud lifts on the top pièce and legs for both the head and foot boards. Then a pattern board with a router to smooth things up. I'll cope the corners when it's all glued and set, then trim off the extra wood you can see in the pics. 

Assembly will require slow glue and every clamp I own. I'll do one at a time, no doubt! 

Then the side rails with bed bolts (and barrel nuts) and the support panels for the mattress. Whew! :)