Eastern Washington area

Chip Sawdust

Thanks guys, this project has messed with my mind but I finally think I have it nailed. So to speak (glued will be more like it). 

Tonight I cut the headboard cloud lifts and sharpened a bunch of chisels as well as my shoulder plane. Messy with water stones but absolutely necessary and frankly, rewarding to see a shiny new microbevel on several tired edges. 

I made a template for final routing and shaping of the headboard legs but the footboard legs are different, as of course are the profiles for the top span. So that looks to be tomorrow's project as I near the final shaping/sanding before assembly. And I found I don't have a 1/8" rounding bit for the 1001 edges so I need to hit Woodcraft soon! 

So during the summer I found this old fore plane and brought it home with me. I tried everything to sharpen it and finally figured the original bade was crap. Hock tools, do you have a... I'll be darned you do! And a chop breaker to go, I'll be darned! 

So $80 later, I put the Hock blade/breaker on the plane body, adjusted the frog a bit (the Hock blade is thicker) et voilà ! I'm making shavings! :) 

92CBE021-5481-479E-871A-56F4CA0C1484.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hey y’all, I’m in Spokane. I was raised here, but spent 9 years in the Marine Corps, so I ‘ve only been home for a year now. I’m still setting up my garage shop and found one hardwood dealer so far. I’m very out of practice, I took Woodshop for one year in High School, and took a couple drafting classes in college. I’m medically retired, so my back, neck, and hip can’t do what they used to and I spend more time on my couch then I would care to admit.

Right now my hold up is drywalling the walls. I have a bunch of Craigslist tools that I’ve collected this last year and space is tight. I already have the drywall, the tape, joint spackle, putty knives... etc. I just don’t have the physical ability to get drywall on the walls. If anyone has tips, tricks, or knows a handyman in Spokane that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, I’d appreciate all the help I can get!

Any other Spokanites in here?

Jack

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I'm too far to be of much help (TN). Doing the walls isn't a terrible chore, but ceilings are a challege for a single person, no matter how able-bodied. If the space isn't huge, I imagine scheduling a drywaller to do the job will be more trouble than raising the cash to pay. The good ones stay booked up.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Made a home made saw track for my little DeWalt saw. Works pretty darned good if I do say so myself. :) 

A99580B9-BB1A-402F-8F00-B254BE82E094.jpeg

That's the only kind I've ever used, only I always ripped a straight, factory edge off of a sheet of plywood for the guide fence.  One side works for a 7-1/4" saw, and the other for the 314.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 5:34 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

Made a home made saw track for my little DeWalt saw. Works pretty darned good if I do say so myself. :) 

On 2/11/2019 at 6:05 PM, Tom King said:

That's the only kind I've ever used, only I always ripped a straight, factory edge off of a sheet of plywood for the guide fence.  One side works for a 7-1/4" saw, and the other for the 314.

Right there with ya.

57656889c5a73_GCS-v2ShopMade018.jpg.19dde3c5a31c5ecdba8e18d030358ec1.jpg

5765688919c16_GCS-v2ShopMade017.jpg.888eaa0ae814a5d746975a7ee937f39c.jpg

5765688793676_GCS-v2ShopMade013.jpg.48721176cec9cf6cb3f84c3823e74a0e.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Byrdie said:

I might want one of those.  I have the Delta kit that fits onto a drill press.  It works OK but because I have a benchtop press it can be kind of fiddly to use if you need to make deep mortises on bigger pieces.

I've pondered that Delta kit for a few years but I've never regretted buying good tools over what I consider a compromise tool. That said, if it makes square holes where you want it to, it's good. :) 

I'm spoiled. 

So the new machine changes the work flow in the shop... Time to rearrange stuff :) 

Hung a bunch of jigs on the wall, reorganized the band saw blades (on the wall), and now I'm looking at the router table sitting on my rolling bench, which is now behind the mortiser where it used to be bolted down. So it's gotta finally move to the right side of the TS, and the drawer underneath will mount to the bottom of the router table. 

At least that's the plan I dreamed up about 2 o'clock this morning :) 

• 8 months later...

This thread has gone zombie! I heard from one guy in Sookane one time but that was it. He’s right, we really only have one hardwood dealer in town but they’re pretty good, prices better than online. I’ve started a curved front desk now and am going to try to finish a Pennsylvania spice box for my wife for Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

This thread has gone zombie! I heard from one guy in Sookane one time but that was it. He’s right, we really only have one hardwood dealer in town but they’re pretty good, prices better than online. I’ve started a curved front desk now and am going to try to finish a Pennsylvania spice box for my wife for Christmas. 

The guy that bought my old jointer came from Spokane but, I don't think he's a member here.  Although I'm in Montana, I'm only about 4.5 hours from you.

21 hours ago, ..Kev said:

The guy that bought my old jointer came from Spokane but, I don't think he's a member here.  Although I'm in Montana, I'm only about 4.5 hours from you.

My grandparents lived in Kalispell for many years. We used to drive up the east side of Flathead and get cherries on the way. I have an aunt and uncle in West Glacier too :) I’m a native, one of the few, the proud :) 

• Like 1