Opinion poll 3hp v. 5hp for home shop

Ron Swanson Jr.

Howdy all

I'm looking to replace my current table saw with a saw stop. I am definitely going to a 220v machine as all 115v top out at 1-3/4hp and that simply ain't enough, imo.

I don't currently have 220 in my shop and would need to add a line.

My question is, in your experience is it worth the extra money to step up to a 5hp motor? With Sawstop i don't believe they make a 5hp in the Professional series so I'd have to jump to the industrial series. I mainly work with North American hardwoods - red or white oak, Maple, cherry Walnut, etc and I usually don't buy stock larger then 10/4. Typically I buy 8/4, 6/4, or 4/4.

I'm very much intending to go 3hp but I don't want to spend the money, get it home only to realize I should have gone one step further when I had the chance. 

I expect this saw to last me a LONG LONG time. I'm going on 15 years with my Craftsman and it has served me well. 

I'm hoping to double that life expectancy with a new SS which will take me close to the end of my ww career. Anyway, to those who currently own 3 or 5hp machines, what are your thoughts?

Go big, or do you find the difference to not be great enough that 3 is plenty sufficient?

Thanks in advance, all.

AJ

Just now, applejackson said:

Thanks @Chestnut agree wholeheartedly about blades. Interesting technique using the bandsaw to help rip thick stick.

I'm still pretty set on going up to 3hp but based on what in seeing so far I doubt id step up to a 5hp

I should have been more clear at no point was i saying you were wrong or that you should stick with your saw. I was just making the argument that using a 5hp motor to adjust for less than ideal technique seems like a costly way to go. The price jump from a PCS to an ICS is substantial. I think it's worth it for some reasons aside from the 5HP motor. The ICS competes more with the PM2000 so it has larger cast iron surfaces more table space in front of the blade and more weight to cancel out vibration. Directly compared to the PM2000 there is a significant price increase as well though that pays for that flesh detection system.

Honestly i'm starting to only use the table saw for joinery not intentionally either it just happened. Almost all of my rips thick and thin are at the band saw. I will use the table saw when the cut is just too unwieldy at the band saw. If the piece is that big the track saw usually takes over instead of the table saw. I can sort of start to understand a shop that doens't have a table saw though joinery wouldn't be as easy.

• Thanks 1

I have the 3HP sawstop, plenty of power for me and I work with a lot of 10/4 hardwoods.

I agree with Chestnut in that I also am using my bandsaw more and more for my initial sizing rips. I just strike a line and cut along it. 

For me the table saw has become more of a finish saw, cutting boards to final width and length and getting a smooth cut surface when I use a quality blade. Table saw is also a go to for joinery, but rarely use it for rough sizing.

• Thanks 1

I ran a 1.75HP hybrid and it did everything I needed it to giving consideration to the thin kerf blade and the power available..  I got the chance to upgrade to a 3HP Saw Stop and so did.  This saw also does everything I ask of it.  The increase in power and stability is easily noticeable. The full kerf blade cutting 8/4 stock without strain adds confidence and safety to my operations.  I cannot say that a 5HP motor would make the saw any better for my use and I cut some reasonably (for a home shop) thick, hard stock. If an unexpected windfall had not come my way I would be using the hybrid still.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, applejackson said:

@pkinneb I didn't realize the industrial had a bigger table and I sell the darn things! Thanks!

Is there a reason why the sales on Rockler's websites aren't in the stores as well? I had a guy get short with me yesterday because i asked him to honor a sale on the site in store.

@Chestnut  as far as I know the on line price and the store prices should always be the same. If there has ever been a discrepancy at my store we've always honored the lower of the two prices. Of course, our manager is a great guy who will always place great customer service above a couple of bucks in a price difference. Can I ask what the item was?

That's a rockler product too, so there shouldn't be any discrepancy or hesitation to honor a lower prices in my opinion.

Now I'm just a weekend part timer so maybe there's a reason but based on what I'm hearing I'd encourage you to take it up with the store manager it with rockler corporate customer service if the store is not helpful.

I can't imagine why someone would take a stance or get testy about a relatively low price product like that.

Was it a Minnesota store?

20 minutes ago, applejackson said:

@pkinneb I didn't realize the industrial had a bigger table and I sell the darn things! Thanks!

I didn't either. I really liked my PM66 but wanted the tech of the Sawstop and knew it was a solid saw so after 12 years I sold the PM66 and bought the 3hp Professional. After 18 months of ownership I love the SS it is a really solid saw the only thing I miss is the larger table I had on the PM66 so much so that if I had to do over it wouldn't even be a question. Having said that I am slowly getting used to it and certainly will not change at this point but food for thought for future buyers.

9 minutes ago, applejackson said:

That's a rockler product too, so there shouldn't be any discrepancy or hesitation to honor a lower prices in my opinion.

Now I'm just a weekend part timer so maybe there's a reason but based on what I'm hearing I'd encourage you to take it up with the store manager it with rockler corporate customer service if the store is not helpful.

I can't imagine why someone would take a stance or get testy about a relatively low price product like that.

Was it a Minnesota store?

I don't want to get any one in trouble so i won't take it any further but yes a MN store. I have a strong feeling the irritation was with the system and the price discrepancy and not myself.

I  like the store but you guys make me think you work on commission. Every time i visit it's a Canadian stand off where the employee is trying to be helpful and I'm trying not to be rude asking for some space.

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

I didn't either. I really liked my PM66 but wanted the tech of the Sawstop and knew it was a solid saw so after 12 years I sold the PM66 and bought the 3hp Professional. After 18 months of ownership I love the SS it is a really solid saw the only thing I miss is the larger table I had on the PM66 so much so that if I had to do over it wouldn't even be a question. Having said that I am slowly getting used to it and certainly will not change at this point but food for thought for future buyers.

This is why i don't understand the comparison of the PM2000 and the PCS. The only thing similar is the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll just echo what others have said.  I have the 3 hp PCS and have never had any issues with it.  I don't have a bandsaw (yet...) so I do all my rip cuts on the TS.  I use a good quality rip blade and have no problems with thick stock.  I recently ripped all the maple for a Roubo with no issues whatsoever.  I haven't tried a 5 hp saw, but I imagine the main difference would be that you could push the material through much quicker.  That may matter in a production shop, but for a hobbyist I don't see that it's worth the additional cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Art said:

I haven't tried a 5 hp saw, but I imagine the main difference would be that you could push the material through much quicker.  

I agree.. On a large job when you have a ton of parts to rip is the only time I have thought a 5 hp would be nice.  Going from a 1 1/2 to a 3 hp  seemed like a lot more power but now not so much.

• Thanks 1

To all the 3hp guys who weighed in here, thank you. You have confirmed my suspicion and cemented my plan to go 3hp. 

A guy a work with just bought the 5hp industrial which stoked my inner Tim Allen (ooh ooh ooh more power! I rewired it!) and that's what started this whole thing. 

I was planning on the 3hp Professional and all this feedback has shown me that I'll be perfectly fine with that.

Thanks all

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

3HP. I have a 1.75hp saw and honestly don't really see the need for 3hp. I do all my rough rips on the band saw and only rip clean jointed lumber on the table saw with a 20 tooth blade. I've cut 3" thick hickory no issues. If you are forcing lumber through a saw 5hp vs 3hp could help but a different approach could be just as helpful.

I think a good blade that is designed for the work your doing is as if not more important than the power of the saw after a point. a 50T combo blade is not meant to rip wood thicker than 1" no matter the power of the saw.

Well said!

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Every time i visit it's a Canadian stand off where the employee is trying to be helpful and I'm trying not to be rude asking for some space.

That's so stereotypical!

I lived next to a Minnesotan, who, by example, introduced me to "Minnesota Indirectness".  We walked down the path between our gardens one day, after I remarked on the health of his plants, and he proceeded to mention (repeatedly) "what a fella could do". 

Naturally, after that I paid close attention to "what a fella could do".