Moving large machines...sanity check

bleedinblue

Many years ago a neighbor was a heavy equipment operator. He used his Bobcat to remove 2 sections of my fence then pulled the post, that gave him room to drive the dump truck in and fill behind a retaining wall I built. He put the fence back and you couldn't tell once the tire tracks faded away.

After all the talk about it, you did it the absolute best way!   I knew nothing about that kind of Bobcat before, but now it's apparent that it's the right tool for the job for an old basement we have to clear, and dig out sometime in the future.   I'm glad forks were available for it.  I was worried about the crate, and a small bucket.

• Like 1

If I was smarter, I would have indeed uncrated the Hammer while I still had the bobcat.  Apparently when you attach a couple of supplied bolts to the back of the Hammer, it is suggested that you use a pallet jack to lift the Hammer up by it's chassis and the bolts to get it off the crate and onto the floor.  That would have saved the ramp building I am doing now.  :rolleyes:  I've literally worked on it at about fifteen minutes at a time, but the mobile base is almost assembled under the Hammer and the ramp is almost built.  I'll have it on the floor in another fifteen minute session or two :D

Almost time to start thinking about electricity, but that'll be for another thread since this one should be dedicated to it's intended topic.

58 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Apparently when you attach a couple of supplied bolts to the back of the Hammer, it is suggested that you use a pallet jack to lift the Hammer up by it's chassis and the bolts to get it off the crate and onto the floor. 

Wouldn't it be nice for the manufacturer to go over the shipping container, un-crating and set up with the customer before the sale.

Laguna had an un-boxing and set up video for the P-Flux I bought and even though the pallet it came on was different from the video I had a pretty good idea what I was going to have to deal with.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

If I was smarter, I would have indeed uncrated the Hammer while I still had the bobcat.  Apparently when you attach a couple of supplied bolts to the back of the Hammer, it is suggested that you use a pallet jack to lift the Hammer up by it's chassis and the bolts to get it off the crate and onto the floor.  That would have saved the ramp building I am doing now.  :rolleyes:  I've literally worked on it at about fifteen minutes at a time, but the mobile base is almost assembled under the Hammer and the ramp is almost built.  I'll have it on the floor in another fifteen minute session or two :D

Almost time to start thinking about electricity, but that'll be for another thread since this one should be dedicated to it's intended topic.

I did the ramp route getting my a3-41 down. It worked fine, other than I needed three tries to get the area around clear enough to get the thing off the pallet with the pallet jack. It was bigger than it looked. :)

Your pallet looks way more beefy than mine... of course, UPS freight ripped one of the pallet skids off moving it, so the whole thing was sketchy anyway. Looking forward to the electricity thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Firehawk said:

I would love to see your ramp that you built as I am preparing to do mine.

I had to modify the location of the skids on the pallet, because UPS freight ripped one of them clean off.  Also, due to the width of the pallet jack, I had to add some lumber to make the pallet surface wide enough.   I stacked up 2x lumber, and maybe some scrap ply, until the top of the ramp was close enough to the same height as the pallet.  I drove 3 or 4 screws thru the ramp into one of the skids.  Then I put a couple more pieces of 2x under the ramp, because it needed shoring up.  Once that was solid, I ran the pallet jack up, and pulled it off. It wasn't too bad.

20181025_030632289_iOS.thumb.jpg.2d785d0a1fa04a544205de46a7254c48.jpg

20181025_030638294_iOS.thumb.jpg.2d66b43f3cb90fac01ac7f3fb8d701d9.jpg

• Like 1

Probably overkill, but I ended up getting some brackets from Tractor Supply and attached some 2x10's (I think, maybe 2x12) to them and just rolled it off on the mobility kit. My delivery was a pallet on a pallet for some reason, so I had 8 or so inches to come down.

(I put an on-edge 2x4 under the ramp about half way down since I figured it would be too bendy otherwise).

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Edited by bglenden
Mention 2x4

I dont think I took any pictures of the ramp, and if I did I lost them with a phone/carrier switch.

I just used the 2x4's from the crate.  Two boards per side, four total and I rolled it down lengthwise because of how I assembled the mobile base.  Braced the underneath with more scrap 2x4's cut to the appropriate angle.  DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE BOLTS ON THE FLOOR OF THE CRATE.  That was the only real hangup (literally)

Doing it this way did cause it to high center for a bit.  I used a piece or 2x4 to lever it up.  When it got all four wheels on the ramp it rolled down perfectly.

No need to over think it really.