Indoor Herb Garden

Np hope you do use it just a warning the lights weren't cheap think it was like $65 for the setup an some minor electrical work. There are other options but i wanted discrete and hidden so this is the route i went. The idea could also be used for regular shelves around the house as well as a herb garden just against the wall. We just don't have a ton of open wall space in our kitchen. It's either cabinets or window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Any thought of a timer for the lights, or how are you controlling the daylight cycle?

Oh i must have forgot to mention. I use a basic mechanical timer to do 12H on 12H off. Most herbs are intended to be grown outside and all but 1 are full sun so i figured i'd go this way. When it gets to summer time I'll cut the LED light back and let the north west facing window do all the work.

The lights at my electricity cost will be around $3 a month 6 months a year the seeds were pretty much free. $3 for 1000 which should last me a LONG time. Even though herbs are cheap at the store this should end up paying for it's self after a few years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Oh i must have forgot to mention. I use a basic mechanical timer to do 12H on 12H off. Most herbs are intended to be grown outside and all but 1 are full sun so i figured i'd go this way. When it gets to summer time I'll cut the LED light back and let the north west facing window do all the work.

The lights at my electricity cost will be around $3 a month 6 months a year the seeds were pretty much free. $3 for 1000 which should last me a LONG time. Even though herbs are cheap at the store this should end up paying for it's self after a few years.

At least for me, fresh herbs aren’t even that cheap at the store, especially because you often have to buy more than you really want! Nice work. 

Resident stoner with my own indoor herb garden.  Do you have the lights on a timer/switch, or always on?

If not planning to have them turn off, you should grow a solid root system on each mother plant under minimum 18/6. Root growth is mostly done during the darkness hours. If you're interested, I can show you pics of plants hydroponically grown at 24/0 until flipping to flower. The Roots are maybe 1/5th in thickness and length.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Resident stoner with my own indoor herb garden.  Do you have the lights on a timer/switch, or always on?

If not planning to have them turn off, you should grow a solid root system on each mother plant under minimum 18/6. Root growth is mostly done during the darkness hours. If you're interested, I can show you pics of plants hydroponically grown at 24/0 until flipping to flower. The Roots are maybe 1/5th in thickness and length.

I have a timer for 12 on 12 off. Didn't know that about root growth that's interesting. So far the full spectrum lights are working great. I have some thyme, cilantro, and basil seeds that have germinated and 24 hours after transplant have grown a lot. Oregano is taking it's sweet time though. Watching this stuff is sort of cool, makes me want to do my own time lapse of a plant growing.

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

At least for me, fresh herbs aren’t even that cheap at the store, especially because you often have to buy more than you really want! Nice work. 

That's what really drove us down this road. There were two of the herbs you buy in bunches that gave us problems, i think cilantro and parsley. We'd spend $1.50 on a bunch get it home it's sit in the fridge overnight and already have gone bad. That and basil is stupid expensive for some reason it was like $3 a package and we'd need 2 and who knows what they did to it to keep it fresh.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Great looking nut and good idea using the figure 8’s. 

I don't want to claim the idea i swear i saw it somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

For that i'd mount it more to the right and have the 2 hinge points. I'd probably just find hinges strong enough to support it that way. it's not a bad idea. For us blocking the window is a total non issue. We don'e use that one beings that there is a sliding door with in 12" and another window across from it and to the right of it.

I recently had to add a heat source. The seeds germinated well but seemed like they hit a wall. After talking to the Master Gardner i have on retainer (my mom :D) we determined they need a bit more warmth.

3185803386236554370.thumb.jpg.c9715b24c9917c8356abc2e5c03bc79d.jpg

I just put in one of those inefficient heat bulbs things. The ones with the coil of wire inside or something. :unsure:

Seems like the hinges used on a wooden door would be appropriately sized..:ph34r:

Another option would be to use that overhead sliding barn door hardware that has become so popular:

Solid Wood Flush Interior Barn Door

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

@Isaac My only concern with the door hardware is that it would swing so i'd still want a brace against the wall.

Also that provided image is one of the worst photoshop jobs i think i've ever seen.

Haha yeah, It was literally the first image i found, just to be clear what I was referring to. I suppose a person could make it with a slider top and bottom, though that starts sounding really bulky/ugly. You better try it and let us know how it turns out. We're right behind you.