domino joiner

joe l

I guess i don't remember how much the bits for the D500 cost. my only thought on the matter is they go for a LONG time. I've done 1,000 tenons on my 6mm and 5mm and they are both going strong. If the cmt make for a tight fitting mortise i guess it works but it might not be worth it long term. Doesn't seem right to spend $1,000-$1,400 on a tool and then cheap out to save $20 on a bit.

Any one tried the taytools dominoes?

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Chestnut said:

I guess i don't remember how much the bits for the D500 cost. my only thought on the matter is they go for a LONG time. I've done 1,000 tenons on my 6mm and 5mm and they are both going strong. If the cmt make for a tight fitting mortise i guess it works but it might not be worth it long term. Doesn't seem right to spend $1,000-$1,400 on a tool and then cheap out to save $20 on a bit.

Any one tried the taytools dominoes?

The taytools tenons do have good reviews as do the CMT cutters.  

So I spent maybe an hour in the shop with the domino. Following directions, I was able to make a perfect frame joint and a perfect fitting shelf with 3/4 plywood , I also ordered  the assortment of loose tenons . Festool also includes bits in the kit. I was not expecting them to include a 4 mm cutter as well. But they did. So, with a little more practice, I have  things to build! Thanks for the tip on Holbren, I checked out the site and will probably try at least one of their bits. I have used CMT  cutters extensively, so they should be of good quality.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, joe l said:

So I spent maybe an hour in the shop with the domino. Following directions, I was able to make a perfect frame joint and a perfect fitting shelf with 3/4 plywood , I also ordered  the assortment of loose tenons . Festool also includes bits in the kit. I was not expecting them to include a 4 mm cutter as well. But they did. So, with a little more practice, I have  things to build! Thanks for the tip on Holbren, I checked out the site and will probably try at least one of their bits. I have used CMT  cutters extensively, so they should be of good quality.

Congrats. Enjoy your Domino. Looking forward to mine  Im glad you started this thread and I hope you didn't mind me asking stuff on it.

18 hours ago, joe l said:

I was not expecting them to include a 4 mm cutter as well. But they did. So, with a little more practice, I have  things to build!

Remember that the 4mm cutter is shorter than the others and so using the 12mm depth setting will NOT produce a 12mm deep mortise. As I recall you are supposed to use the 20mm setting to end up with a 10mm mortise, but double check that before making cuts on a work piece.

You are correct, cut one today and realized it was shorter. Just another thing to remember. Did have an issue getting drawer fronts to line up correctly. Sides were even, but 3/8 inch too high? Suggestions? BTW  mat60, anytime you want to discuss domino I'll, be glad to chat. I am learning too.

9 hours ago, joe l said:

Did have an issue getting drawer fronts to line up correctly. Sides were even, but 3/8 inch too high? Suggestions? 

Sounds like maybe you flipped the sides or the front. 

Did you make marks or take other precautions to be certain you used the same reference faces and put everything back in the same place/orientation? Did you strike a line across both pieces at the same time for marking domino location?

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Considering the new age of woodworking and the lack of patience a Domino is the trick these days. If you have the money it will get used.....

Sometimes it has nothing to do with patience.  For me it has to do with making more money.. 

Been trying to reply to this thread for a week now and just thought of using the web instead of the app :wacko:

Anyway, I’ve had my domino for 4-5 yrs, love it love it love it. I got the 500 set, as well as the systainer with the assortment of tenons and bits. I use this thing religiously.

After a little while I purchased the Domiplate from Seneca as well as the imperial height adjustment. Personally, I’d never purchase woodpeckers attachments for the domino, to expensive and to me they are unnecessary. I have a bunch of their stuff, but not for my domino. 

A tip I will certainly give is like someone else mentioned, speed of plunge and be very thoughtful of your reference surfaces.  Please feel free to ask any questions you guys may have, like I said I use this thing for everything, from cabinetry to my deck railing. Great machine.  Thankfully I bought this on sale yrs back, but I’d still be willing to drop the $ for this tool. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, mat60 said:

I been thinking about the CMT cutters.  Holbren as you said has some great prices and a nice website. Thank you.   Im taking in all the info I can before I get my Domino so hopefully I get what will work best for me.  Its allot of money.  

I mentioned earlier I have Festool and CMT cutters.  CMT is not one of my favorites when it comes to router bits but, the domino cutters have performed just fine.

• Thanks 1