Mark J

Jet JWBS-14SFX 14 inch bandsaw

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

Received the replacement table top a couple of days ago, but left it to acclimate to house temperature.  Opened it today and cleaned off the cosmoline, which pleasantly was not slathered on.  Figured I'd check the flatness before I went too far.  :(! it's got a dip at the slot measuring 25 thousandths.  Poop.  I sent Jet an email and will wait to hear from them tomorrow.  

Is that measured with the pin in place? Have to wonder if the pin slot was machined wrong and that is torquing the bed out of level. 

Yes the pin is in place.  I was going to check the flatness with the pin out, but it's too tight to pull without putting a wrench on it.  

I'll wait to hear from Jet tomorrow.  I haven't given up on them and, frankly, although this is dissapointing, it's not unusual for any company (possible exception of Robust).  

I'd pull the pin..  You'd have to do that to change the blade anyway and I'm guessing they're going to have you do that in the trouble shooting process.  Probably better to know before the call.

• Like 1

Mark, have you checked flatness with the pin in and the table off of the saw? Sorry if this has been addressed earlier. 

Both tables have their pins in.  The original table is mounted on the saw.  The first replacement table was never mounted.  

I just had the same problem described in this thread regarding the tensioning assembly disassembling because the tensioning rod Does not have a stop.

After trying in vain to remove the flywheel by hand, I called Jet support who confirmed that I  was using the proper approach (rather than removing the entire assembly from the housing), and I was able to easily remove it using a puller. Not  Including the trip to Pep Boys to buy the puller, it was about a 10 minute fix: pull the wheel, manipulate the parts back in place, and hammer the wheel back in place using a short 2x4. The only issue was that when I tried to steel hammer it back in place, the bearing popped out.  Using the 2x4 took care of that.

And then I followed another poster’s advice and put a label next to the tensioning handle: CHECK TENSIONING ROD VISUALLY BEFORE LOOSENING...

• Like 1

Yes, the placard does help :).  When I droped that nut I got it back on to the rod by using a Braille technique with my finger squirming past the freewheel coupled with a number of magical incantations such as "this d*!# mother f#%÷&*$ piece of sh%# and eventually (3 hours) this worked.  But then I had no idea how to R & R the freewheel.  

One thing I've realized since is that I don't have to over loosen the tension knob to change blades.   

• Haha 1

I have been going back and forth between the Laguna 14bx 230v and the jet 14sfx. (Would then convert to 230v)

I thought I had decided on the jet which is about $400 cheaper until I read all of these threads.  
saving the $400 gets me a cyclone and a mobile base with enough left over for a lia Nielsen new block plane.  Nothing worse than limited customer service and a new machine that has issues right out of the box.  Is it worth it???

Help?

I'm actually happy with my saw and their customer service.  I do try to be honest and thorough with a review. 

Certainly I'm irritated by silly things like screws that weren't tightened at the factory, or including every allen wrench except the 4mm size, because these mistakes are silly and were the easy ones to avoid (and because in my former line of work mistakes like that were not tollerated). 

Perfection out of the box is a reasonable expectation, but not a reality very many are going to experience.  Still there's nothing about the saw that hasn't been fixed to my satisfaction.  

I do want to remind you that my saw is the original version, but if I had to replace it I wouldn't have any reservation about buying a new 14SFX.  

Part of the reason I bought it, though, was because it is 120V.  You mentioned converting it to 240V.  Not sure how that would work, but the Laguna 14BX has a brake and that is one feature I wish I had on the Jet.  

I don't have that model but I do have two Laguna bandsaws and both have been great saws with no issues. Having said that if funds were limited and there was $400 that I could use for something else I would have to think long and hard on whether thee was enough difference to justify it.

I agree with Mark brakes are nice!

My last saw was a really old Rockwell Delta.

changed the motor to 1 1/2 horse and did the 230v thing.  It just lets/help the saw draw less amps and better cooling.

Moved a while ago and sold everything so
starting over.  This is the last machine I need and never thought it would be so hard to choose.  It’s only the last machine because it’s the hardest to choose.  I think I’ve read too much?