Photography

JohnG

@curlyoak, I’ve been to Florida once and unfortunately I was stuck in a hotel in Tampa at a three day conference. And I’m sure that Tampa’s climate is entirely different than yours anyway. What are the ideal conditions to grow orchids as beautiful as yours? I researched it and our average year round humidity is 78%. Am I a candidate on a small time basis? 

Hi Coop, Houston has very good climate for growing orchids. People grow them with heated greenhouses in cold climates. I imagine that like me you may have some cold winter days. My warmest loving plants like 50 and above. A few plants can be brought in to the house. I have a lot of plants so I have a heated spot to manage that. In general they like morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. But there are lots of variations to that. There are 35 to 40 thousand natural species. Not counting the hybrids. The best advice you can get usually is from the local growers. They know the tricks to competing with the local climate. There are hundreds of affiliated orchid societies around the country and the world. A big city like Houston might have several societies in the area. Look up the American orchid society. All the local clubs are affiliated and the AOS has all the contact info.

Go to a meeting. Experts to novice are welcome. Eventually you will get the bug. Then at the meeting you can stand up on the roll call and say hello my name is Coop and I am an orcholic. Just kidding. 

Generally we enjoy and encourage new members. Joining is the fastest way to overcome the knowledge. And the monthly meeting I look forward to. The big secret is that growing orchids is easy. Just different than all you know about plants.  They are air plants. less than 1% are terrestrial.

If you start you will probably enjoy a healthy addiction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Tom King said:

How is the recovery looking on Sanibel?

Loaded question…. Some businesses were open for the heavy season, only to close now for repairs and infrastructure maintenance. Most wild areas look like western wildfire went through, only the wood is still there…just very little green. Eating quite well tonight, and finding what we need. Captiva looks decent, money seems to make a huge difference in that regard. We aren’t typically big spenders looking for the touristy, but have been disappointed by a few things that were marked open online, but have closed now that they are not in the heavy travel season. We also have been surprised by how many businesses have put up signs that they are not returning. Brave faces everywhere. They have had time to adjust, but it is obvious they are hurting. Many properties just now being cleaned up.  

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...