Photography

JohnG

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

On a related note, I got a 24 prime earlier in the year but something got dislodged in shipping and the AF doesn’t work, it gets stuck at certain points in the focus range. Anyone here used any of the mail-in repair services out there?

Did you buy it used or new? If it's new file a warranty claim. If it's used check the authorized repair shops on Canon's website. I used a place in Chicago to fix my D810 and it wasn't a bad experience. I can't say it was good either though at how much it cost.... but the cost was fair.

Canon doesn’t support it any longer so they won’t work on it, and I couldn’t find a list of authorized repair shops on their site. I’ll look again later when I’m on a computer. 

Got it used from someone I know, but I’m not going to send it back or ask for a refund. It’s either fix or trash/paperweight. 

You had me looking at the 70-200 and 24-70 lenses but I really don't use my camera enough. Would be better off learning to take better photos with it.

I got a SB-600 flash for it a week or two ago for free on Facebook that I've been playing around with. Hoping it can help with better pictures of my woodworking projects.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, Chestnut said:

Interesting that they won't work on it. I found this https://www.service-center-locator.com/canon/canon-service-center.htm

I'd probably avoid the best buys but there are probably some larger camera shops in your area that will handle the repair. Also a resource, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/features/last-of-the-new-york-camera-repair-shops

I'd suggest the company I used but they only repair good cameras, ya know, the ones made by Nikon :P.

It’s the first gen 1.4L so it’s a pretty old lens, I think the 2nd gen was released in 2008.

I used to have one of those inferior cameras, but have since upgraded :lol: 

I did find a semi-local shop that works on Canon lenses and cameras, so I’ll contact them on Monday to see what they think.

I’d open it up myself before I’d take it to a best buy or similar store, I’ve never used their tech services and never plan to, but maybe I’m not giving them a fair chance.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:33 PM, legenddc said:

You had me looking at the 70-200 and 24-70 lenses but I really don't use my camera enough. Would be better off learning to take better photos with it.

I got a SB-600 flash for it a week or two ago for free on Facebook that I've been playing around with. Hoping it can help with better pictures of my woodworking projects.

Unfortunately a pro (or even many hobbyists) with a $50 lens could still easily run circles around me, but new lenses do encourage me to get out and try more things to improve my skills. And in the meantime, I get more keepers with the faster lens. 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 10:51 AM, Chestnut said:

Interesting that they won't work on it. I found this https://www.service-center-locator.com/canon/canon-service-center.htm

I'd probably avoid the best buys but there are probably some larger camera shops in your area that will handle the repair. Also a resource, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/features/last-of-the-new-york-camera-repair-shops

I'd suggest the company I used but they only repair good cameras, ya know, the ones made by Nikon :P.

Do you use any photo editing programs? The last thing I used was NX 1 and the hard drive on that computer crashed last week.

12 minutes ago, B1rdhunter said:

Do you use any photo editing programs? The last thing I used was NX 1 and the hard drive on that computer crashed last week.

I use Adobe Lightroom, bought it years ago before they forced everyone into subscription BS. My camera and lenses are all old enough that i won't benefit from the most up to date versions anyway.

I use Lightroom for post processing and library management. I have Photoshop as well but rarely use it.

I have a LR6 perpetual license but also have the subscription plan. I don’t really need the camera/lens updates but I do enjoy the other benefits to it. Though it’s been a few years since I’ve paid for it, they used to offer 1-year plans for $80 (LR and PS) and I bought a bunch of those. They haven’t done those in a while though.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:53 PM, JohnG said:

Unfortunately a pro (or even many hobbyists) with a $50 lens could still easily run circles around me, but new lenses do encourage me to get out and try more things to improve my skills. And in the meantime, I get more keepers with the faster lens.

Same here. Which is why I need more practice. Kids hampered my practice besides mostly snapshots of them and then using iPhoto/Photos was also frustrating. Once I upgraded to an external SSD that issue has gone away.

Yep. 99% of my photographs in the last 4.5 years have been of the kids. But it does provide a wide range of shooting styles- from still life/landscape photography when you are trying to get them out of the door in a hurry, to BIF when you are trying to get them to be still and quiet.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 7:28 PM, treeslayer said:

Now that is a fine looking young man ! I’m sure many, many happy hours in the shop are ahead for you two. 

On 1/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, Coop said:

What an incredible picture! Hopefully we leave this world a better place for all of our children and grandchildren. 

Thanks and here's hoping to both.

Edited by B1rdhunter

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, RichardA said:

You should see the balloon fest in Albuquerque.NM.  my wife and I saw close to 200 in the sky at one time, What a sight.

Playing a lot of catch-up on this thread. Took my family to the Albuquerque balloon festival in 2018. Was one of the most incredible sights I’d ever seen. So many fun shapes and sizes of different balloons, all in the air at the same time. Got there early to watch them launch and for a bit, it was so dark, that all you could see was the intermittent flames in the sky.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...