Photography

JohnG

On 6/17/2020 at 10:25 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Love that shot, Gary! The monochromatic theme and the exposure created a very pleasing contrast between the hyper-realistic still objects and the surreal softness of the flowing water. Very nice!

What Ross said! 

20 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

I found out my D750 has super low ISO adjustments so I can do blurred water shots with it. Still out on the road so cant post anything. This opens up a whole new avenue of fun.

The 750 is a good camera.The low ISO is very helpful for getting that water motion blur while not needing to carry a neutral density filter.

17 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

Tiny waterfall at Banning Mills in Georgia

That's a really good looking picture.

• 2 weeks later...

My manager worked on Warthogs back in the day. I think I posted some pics of a model I built; I "loaned" it to him (can't give managers gifts). The cool part was it was an airplane he actually worked on! He has three or four A-10 models. That gun and all the underwing attach points make it one awesome machine. They talk about retiring it but there's nothing else that con do the job it does. Close ground support has saved a lot of American lives.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

They call that the decisive moment. Good catch!

So the full story is that this cardinal flies into two of our window dozens of times a day. It perches in the bushes and then flies up to the window and pecks at it and kicks his feet against it for a few seconds and then returns to the bush. At first I thought he must be catching little bugs or something, but then I realized that he is probably seeing his reflection and thinking another male has moved in on his turf. I haven’t unpacked my DSLR gear to take proper pictures yet, but I’ve done a few slow-mo videos on my phone which are neat. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, JohnG said:

So the full story is that this cardinal flies into two of our window dozens of times a day. It perches in the bushes and then flies up to the window and pecks at it and kicks his feet against it for a few seconds and then returns to the bush. At first I thought he must be catching little bugs or something, but then I realized that he is probably seeing his reflection and thinking another male has moved in on his turf. I haven’t unpacked my DSLR gear to take proper pictures yet, but I’ve done a few slow-mo videos on my phone which are neat. 

I was working in the yard yesterday and got to watch 2 male Cardinals fighting over a female. They were making quite the ruckus. At first I thought a hawk was in a tree near me as that's the only other time I've heard the birds freak out so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the pooch out for her 9:00 pm walk, and noticed a cool lighting effect in the sky. High clouds were catching some reflected light, although the sun was well below the horizon. 

20200803_210455.thumb.jpg.ff644a295cbea59080dedf0a85cf7ee2.jpg

Note the stars in the sky. Focus isn't perfect, I didn't take time to grab a tripod.

ISO 400, 1.8 Apeture, 4.28 mm focal length, 30 seconds of exposure.