Photography

JohnG

11 hours ago, Chet said:

Is that Toronto in the back ground?

No that's actually Niagra Falls, Canada. Both the US and Canadian cities close to the falls are called "Niagra Falls"

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Drew, this wasn’t taken with your phone, was it? 

This was taken from my DSLR on a tripod. The trick to the creamy waterfall look is a 2 second shutter speed, which is difficult with a phone.

16 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Very nice shot! Did you use an ND filter?

Not for this shot. With the sun setting it wasn't very bright so I was able to make it work with out. When it is too bright I typically use a circular polarizing filter. That's usually enough combined with shooting at f/16 & Iso 32 to slow shutter speeds down even during the day.

The polarizing filter also helps reduce reflections on the water and can make for more interesting pictures. Once i get it edited I'll share a picture where you can see Alge on rocks through the water just before it goes over the falls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 8:35 AM, johnjsmith23 said:

my hobby is photography but the thing is i dont know which camera to use 

Care to elaborate? Because you have so many cameras? Because smartphones are easy to carry around but the image quality doesn’t truly compare to a “real” camera? Else?

• Like 1

The best camera to use is usually the best one you have with you. It's kind of a cheeky response but the take away from it is, if your gear is too cumbersome that you don't carry it consider changing it up and downsizing. Or if you find yourself wanting your camera and your leaving it consider better carrying options. Also consider the camera you tend to get the best results with. That may not always be the best camera you have....

Any time i travel i almost always have a Nikon D810 with a 50 f/1.8 glued to my side. It takes great images is small enough and light enough that it doesn't bother me to carry all day. I don't bother with a case, lens cap, protector at all. It gets rained on, splashed with sea water, pelted with snow, blasted with sand and keeps taking great pictures.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 8:30 AM, Chestnut said:

I agree but it seems like I'm always in crap light.... so 2.8 or even 1.4 is a huge advantage.

Me too, which is part of the reason I typically use the primes. Also why I didn’t settle for the f/4 70-200, but got the 2.8 instead :D

On a related note, I got a 24 prime earlier in the year but something got dislodged in shipping and the AF doesn’t work, it gets stuck at certain points in the focus range. Anyone here used any of the mail-in repair services out there? 

• Like 1