Photography

JohnG

58 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Not the best quality pic but given the current state of affairs here in MN and around the country it struck me that our flag was perfectly calm... 

IMG_6293.JPG.7b7942d62b37d7185b17a7219b6ee557.JPG

Great pic and perspective. 

I thought you guys had a problem until I read in the paper this morning that the rally scheduled in Houston yesterday turned into a riot last night. Sorry, back to photography. 

Did I mention great pic? 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 10:14 AM, Gary Beasley said:

Wife and I took a trip out to Birmingham to visit the Sloss Furnaces for some photography. The heat as brutal, we didnt last that long especially considering my camera pack weighed 30 pounds plus the tripod. I was able to expose a dozen sheets of 4x5 film, processed them yesterday.

What is your film and developer of choice?

I really miss APX100!

It's hard to find anyone who develops black and white any more. I used to LOVE taking black and white pictures with my old Canon AE-1 camera. Had the full suite of lenses and filters etc. Loved playing with it, but the wait for developing was painful at times. I haven't developed my own film or prints since I was in 6th grade, but I recall it being lots of fun. We did dodging and all the "tricks" at the time.

Still got the camera? If you have a little room it doesnt take much to do your own black and white film. You can often find enlargers for fairly cheap especially the smaller format only enlargers. My first was a 35mm only Lucky branded enlarger then I graduated to a new Bogen medium format condenser enlarger. I have a Beseler 4x5 enlarger now that will be with me till the end. After a few bits of equipment the most expensive part is the film and paper. Chemicals are relatively cheap and theres ingenious folks out there figuring out how to do it with household supplies and easy to find pool supplies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'm really interested in this. Do you have links to sites that explain this process more?

Wait digital negative. Are you making these prints from digital files?

You can do this with analog negatives or digital negatives. Its a contact print process so if you need bigger prints than your film is you have to make copy negatives. Digital is cheaper and easier to calibrate, I use Pictorico OHC and an Epson 2200 with Ultrachrome inks. Digital negs can be made from any digital file so you can use your digital camera pics as well. I scan my negatives on an Epson 3200 photo scanner for files.

http://www.easydigitalnegatives.com/
I used this book to get going making digital negs. You would have to find other sites to learn one of many alternate processes to make the print. Youtube has a lot of videos covering the subject. I got my starting info from the book” The Iron-Silver Process” by Jaques Kever

One site explaining cyanotype here, makes a bright blue image.

https://parallaxphotographic.coop/how-to-make-cyanotypes/

And the the king of alt processes, the platinum print

https://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/QAlt/qalt.html

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I got my first digital camera for my high school graduation. Now there are 50,000 photos on my computer I'm starting to go through. I miss film. 

It’s quicker and easier to go through, organize, and later find digital photos than it is for negatives or prints :D

I have my downloader set to make a new folder by shot date in my digital images folder. If I have an idea when I shot a picture I can look in folders near that date to find the one I want. Another thing you can do is rename those folders and add an event name after the date so you know what you were doing.

I cull pretty heavily. I used to save every picture and was saving 10k-12k pictures a year. Now i only keep what are good and not redundant and that went down to 1,500 a year. I whittle that down further to my favorites which ends up being around 30 a year. Cut down to prints i maybe get 10 a year that I'd ever print and hang on my wall.

I've uploaded most of the good ones to Snapfish for them to be printed and my mom to put them in scrapbooks. I suspect I'll be closer to 2k a year since our kids were born but we'll see. Going to take me a long time to go through these unless I get to keep working from home and the kids go back to school.