Photography

JohnG

If you lived closer Id let you play with one of mine. LF cameras are pretty simple actually. Hardest part is sizing up the back and ground glass so the focus is the same on the film as on the glass. 
This is a sample of plans available.
http://www.noahhuber.com/wp-content/uploads/construction-of-an-8-x-10-field-view-camera.pdf

No, was sitting and having a picnic with my family and saw him walking along.

The image was better in my head, with the “statuary vista” behind him, but it came out ok. Could have been much better with some setup time, but I only had time to pick up my camera, turn it on and snap a quick shot. Luckily I remembered to take off the lens cap :P

Do you know anything about his camera setup? Looks like fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I have watch this thread from the beginning as photography is something that I enjoy although I haven't posted anything here yet.  I have grand kids that run high school track and when we go to their meets it amazes me as to the large number of parents and other relatives that will video the race instead of actually enjoying it.  This got me to thinking about my own experience with photography.  Am I capable of taking a picture while still enjoying the surroundings?  I think yes, most of the time but I know there have been occasions where I got the picture but missed the moment.

I listen to a lot of Ted Talks while doing other things around the house and today I ran across this one and thought I would post it here.

• Like 2

It's an interesting viewpoint and to some point I agree. The part where i feel like I differ is that when i go out to take a picture taking a picture of the moment is the experience. A big thing to me is to recognize when the picture is going to be bad and the experience is goign to be great. I then put the camera away and enjoy the moment. Great moments are not always equal to great pictures.

Though sometimes the picture allows me to revisit a moment like it happened yesterday.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Great moments are not always equal to great pictures.

There's a good quote. I feel the same, although I've asked myself the same question in the past. I can take snapshots with my mind, true. But they're easier to share in a picture. You have to decide, are you there to take pictures or to enjoy the moment?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chet said:

Am I capable of taking a picture while still enjoying the surroundings?  I think yes, most of the time but I know there have been occasions where I got the picture but missed the moment.

This is why people hire photogs for weddings. They have no investment in the experience. That said, when I grab my gear, I am headed out to sit in the swamp, or by a river. There is so much to experience that just cannot be captured that way. The two hours I might spend looking for something to capture will far outshine the ten minutes snapping photos of something that catches my fancy. In this way, I only really give this value when the discussion focuses on interpersonal interactions. 

• Like 1

We had a couple juvenile bald eagles fly over the house, playing around pretty close. I watched them with my wife and daughter for a few minutes, then ran in to grab my camera. Of course, when I got back outside they had moved on and were too far away to get a shot of. 

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah there is a lot of march and April left. Though snow this time of year is both fun and enjoyable. Knowing it's going to melt within a month makes it really easy to enjoy.

We had blowing, drifting snow on Saturday and now it’s melting. It was 8F overnight Saturday and tomorrow it’ll be 50F for the high. Weird, springlike weather. 

8 hours ago, curlyoak said:

I saw a pair of eagle doing their mating dance 300' up. They hooked up and went into a spinning dive. Then released with plenty of time left. An amazing show.

I’ve often thought about trying that! 

• Haha 1