Photography

JohnG

On 1/18/2020 at 5:18 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

If we didn’t have a fence I wouldn’t have it in this picture but this was shot from our back door. This was from our little Canon T6, don’t recall which lens  

image.thumb.jpeg.5e85fbb2992d8696a3f4e81b709df71b.jpeg

Chip, is that a beaver or muskrat in the water?

@Tpt life, you guys have white wing doves that far north? Up until about 10 years ago, they were only down in the Rio Grand Valley and now there are as many here as morning doves. 

When we see the young eagles first trying to learn how to catch something, they go after ducks.   You can see, pretty quick, how they got the name of "duck".  They never catch one, but will try for 20 minutes.  You can tell the eagles are young because the ones doing that don't have any white on them yet, like the adults.  I always wonder if their parents are still feeding them, or where they get their meals from.

1 hour ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Round motors are just cool, and they are the best sounding engines ever made.

Definitely a cool factor to them, but the engine I could spend a lot of time listening to is the Rolls Royce Merlin in the P-51's.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chet said:

Definitely a cool factor to them, but the engine I could spend a lot of time listening to is the Rolls Royce Merlin in the P-51's.

The Merlin was very cool, and I love Formula 1 engines, the older ones that would wind to 16k rpm. But round motors just sound guttural and strong. I have a video of a Mustang pulling up next to me, right after a Dauntless pulled up (with its round motor) and in direct comparison the Dauntless sounded so torquey while the Mustang sounded a bit weak. But in flight, while screaming in an attack or high speed pass, they are perfectly awesome! :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Took this picture at the fire base on Graingeville, ID a couple years ago. Did a little paintbrush editing to it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a8.thumb.jpg.6fd8e61bba1c6892bae6e0348e41e8bb.jpg

We have some people coming this Spring, to pick up a puppy, in an amphibian airplane.  They didn't trust that I knew what I was talking about, when I told them that we had a good place for them to pull in, so when they came for a first visit, they flew into the little, local airport.  They showed up in the beater Crown Vic that the airport keeps to let people use.  

I took them down to the cove, and showed that the ground was hard in the water, and a good turnaround spot right out of the water.  They can land on the water, then lower the gear, and taxi out of the water.  They were excited that they can indeed come directly here, when they come back.

When they first contacted us about if we had a spot for an amphibian, I emailed back and said that if they were coming in a PBY, that it would be better to anchor out, and we'd come get them.  They have a late model Lake Amphibian.

16 hours ago, Tom King said:

When they first contacted us about if we had a spot for an amphibian, I emailed back and said that if they were coming in a PBY, that it would be better to anchor out, and we'd come get them.  They have a late model Lake Amphibian.

I flew in one of those back in the late 70s. We landed in the water, lowered the gear and taxied up on the boat ramp. Funny thing was, when we left, the pilot taxied back down the boat ramp, hit the throttle and water started coming over the windshield. He’d forgotten to raise the gear! Oops! Once he raised the gear things were normal again. I never flew with him again. 
We used to have PBYs around here that did fire bombing. They were old, slow, ugly but very cool to watch picking up water. Those two radial engines would be wide open while scooping, sounded great! 

• Like 1

Couple more birds today

Cardinal sunbathing. He was really enjoying the sun while it was out. Tried to get to an angle without the foliage in the way, but he was keeping an eye on me.

3208C434-FA00-4FCF-B576-FCF8CFE2E270.thumb.jpeg.f005abfd277c6a18f1a1f4371812308c.jpeg

A more curious cardinal 
5CD83D65-A0EB-41FA-9466-B62C0F9C1722.thumb.jpeg.49e6217f48f447093dba8a92e4495951.jpeg

This one was cheating, through a window and on the feeder. Just snapped a couple shots before going out the door a few feet away from it and scaring it away. 

AB03D276-ECB8-4CBE-A6D1-FB6DD99A36F7.thumb.jpeg.5539c861a2e99c13dbff24523f4e63b8.jpeg

• Like 2