Photography

JohnG

On 5/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, JohnG said:

Last night I was catching up on importing and reviewing photos and was a little discouraged at the quality of my recent shots. Composure aside, they just didn't seem quite as crisp as I had expected, especially when cropping. They seemed a bit noisy at ISOs that are usually fine. I looked at the file size and they were about half the size of what I'm used to... At some point my camera got switched to shooting in Raw-Small :o:angry:  Looking back through my photos, it seems to have happened a couple months ago when I was visiting family. Not sure if someone helped themselves to playing with it or if I left it on in my bag and some button kung fu happened.

The quality is still more than good enough for my purposes and I can touch it up to improve it, just frustrating not knowing how the setting was changed and what else may have been changed. I'll go through the other settings tonight to see if anything else is unusual.

Shoot with RAW as well as JPG. You've got a lot of latitude in those RAW files.

29 minutes ago, collinb said:

Shoot with RAW as well as JPG. You've got a lot of latitude in those RAW files.

I usually shoot full size RAW, but it had somehow gotten changed to RAW Small.

I used to shoot RAW + JPEG, both full size, but realized I never used the JPEGs for anything so switched to RAW only. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnG said:

I usually shoot full size RAW, but it had somehow gotten changed to RAW Small.

I used to shoot RAW + JPEG, both full size, but realized I never used the JPEGs for anything so switched to RAW only. 

I used to do the same thing. Now i shoot RAW to both cards. This way i can take advantage of the dual card backup feature. It's nice having the RAW files on an SD card with an adapter i can download them strait to my phone and edit on the go without having to go back to a computer every time. This is generally how i do project photos for journals on here as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Reader-Type-C-Adapter-Portable/dp/B07F6T9KHW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=micros+usb+c+card+reader&qid=1564680548&s=gateway&sr=8-4

• Like 1

My camera doesn't have two card slots :( Maybe I should go buy a 5D mk iv...

I often download them to my laptop, which syncs them to the cloud. When I turn on my desktop, which isn't very often these days, I download the cloud copies to my hard drive. I never clear the photos from my card until they are on my desktop, which means I always have at least 2 copies (except the time between taking the photo and downloading it to my laptop).

I hear Nikon makes superior cameras in regards to Dynamic Range and color captured....... :ph34r:. Something about better lenses as well.

I don't usually carry a laptop anywhere but having the backup card in the camera is nice. Especially for those instances where some bonehead forgets to put the card back into the camera. I use my phone in place of the laptop as they can do some of the editing just as fast.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I hear Nikon makes superior cameras in regards to Dynamic Range and color captured....... :ph34r:. Something about better lenses as well.

I don't usually carry a laptop anywhere but having the backup card in the camera is nice. Especially for those instances where some bonehead forgets to put the card back into the camera. I use my phone in place of the laptop as they can do some of the editing just as fast.

Both Nikon and Pentax use the Sony sensors. What differs are the lenses and firmware in the camera. Raw images would be roughly the same between the three as it's just the sensor data.

2 hours ago, collinb said:

Both Nikon and Pentax use the Sony sensors. What differs are the lenses and firmware in the camera. Raw images would be roughly the same between the three as it's just the sensor data.

Sony manufactured to Nikon specs so there are differences (thought they are probably so minuscule to be negligible). How the firmware compiles the raw data is vastly different though. Sony struggled with that in the beginning. Also Nikon doesn't only use Sony sensors they have other manufacturers. Though i was making a joke. I've never used a Canon camera before and would love to try it for a couple weeks. For the last 14 years I've only ever shot Nikon.

Mirrorless also interests me but i don't think it's the answer just another tool. I don't think that the focus tracking will ever be good enough to replace a DSLR for action.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Sony manufactured to Nikon specs so there are differences (thought they are probably so minuscule to be negligible). How the firmware compiles the raw data is vastly different though. Sony struggled with that in the beginning. Also Nikon doesn't only use Sony sensors they have other manufacturers. Though i was making a joke. I've never used a Canon camera before and would love to try it for a couple weeks. For the last 14 years I've only ever shot Nikon.

Mirrorless also interests me but i don't think it's the answer just another tool. I don't think that the focus tracking will ever be good enough to replace a DSLR for action.

A couple years ago I met a retired gentleman who travelled with his wife in their motorhome and kept up a little business shooting for stock. He used a Sony mirrorless for still work and a DSLR (Canon, iirc) for action shooting. Each has its fit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...