Photography

JohnG

3 hours ago, Byrdie said:

A few possibilities on this one.  The Crested Flycatcher is a very good guess and highly likely for this area.  It looks most like a Kirtland's Warbler but it could be an immature Goldfinch or one of the many varieties of Tits. (I didn't make up the name!)  The Kirtland's isn't supposed to get this far West but it does get into Northern WI so it's possible you got a stray.

I think the crested flycatcher is the one. The Kirtland doesn't look completely right. If i remember I'll dig out a lesser quality picture that when he was closer to me. I don't think it's in the tit family.

11 hours ago, Byrdie said:

Hey @Chestnut

A few possibilities on this one.  The Crested Flycatcher is a very good guess and highly likely for this area.  It looks most like a Kirtland's Warbler but it could be an immature Goldfinch or one of the many varieties of Tits. (I didn't make up the name!)  The Kirtland's isn't supposed to get this far West but it does get into Northern WI so it's possible you got a stray.

Couple More pics. It looks like the crested flycatcher but the size seems off. It says it's supposed to be Robbin sized but the grass looks tall compared to the bird. Robin in the same grass for scale, Robbins always remind me of professors. Despite being a common bird they are one of my favorite.

265188923_SpringBirds036Share.thumb.jpg.866c0836ce05fa55385f6953925698ed.jpg

287727217_SpringBirds037Share.thumb.jpg.99c118a58c617fb8240a88d16b7bca6e.jpg

1969031354_SpringBirds018Share.thumb.jpg.410897d9b52f8b569f586aee0627866a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Keep telling youself that ......

:lol:

I think any hobby can be insanely expensive. Yeah you can run around taking pics with your phone or you can go spend thousands on cameras, lenses, computers, software, etc. etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Maybe I need to give up Woodworking and take up photography. Those are some cool pics. And it has to be way less expensive ;)

The lens i used to take these pictures cost more than my table saw, planer and joitner combined, this isn't counting the camera body, batteries & memory card. I started woodworking to save money from photography. :P  

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The lens i used to take these pictures cost more than my table saw, planer and joitner combined, this isn't counting the camera body, batteries & memory card. I started woodworking to save money from photography. :P  

I started woodworking to save money from woodworkers. It didn't work.

At our granddaughter's kindergarten graduation, I took two photos on Manual and sent them to a friend who was the photographer for a university. Said the golden tint was faulty white setting. Basically said I would be OK to use Auto setting as it does all the work for you. Photos on Auto turned out good. The turkey photo was taken in the Great Smoky Mountain NP. Took several photos and saw this on the delay to review the photo. Got a chuckle out of a two-headed turkey.

IMG_3997.JPG

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@Bankstick, I'm heading to the Smokies next week. I'll keep an eye out for your turkey friend! :lol:

The turkey was in the meadow between the mill parking lot and cemetery in Cade's Cove. If you notice, there

are four legs, too. Drumstick for everyone!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 10:45 PM, K Cooper said:

Maybe I need to give up Woodworking and take up photography. Those are some cool pics. And it has to be way less expensive ;)

Go to a camera website and price lenses only. Take an aspirin first to ward off the heart attack. I'm dabbling in writing and photography. Lenses will cost much more than the basic camera.

We put up a bird feeder in the front and back yard. Now we are up to our eyebrows with squirrels, rabbits and birds. Got this guy from the deck, using a tripod to steady the camera.

IMG_4470.JPG