Photography

JohnG

54 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I take mostly landscape and have been working on wildlife. Not very good but this is a shot from our campsite the night before we got chased out by a momma bear and her cub. Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior.

Great Pic of Split Rock!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Great Pic of Split Rock!

I have to correct you. That's the lighthouse not the split rock. There is a rock up the split rock river for which the lighthouse and river are named. I don't have a picture of that, much to my displeasure... long story. Short story i tried to get there and failed.

1 minute ago, lewisc said:

Photography is another addictive hobby. I haven’t bought anything new for a while. I’ve just settled with a fairly easy to use setup at the moment. Canon 6D, 35mm 1.4 and 135mm 2.0.  I used to buy lenses second hand, try them out and then sell them on if I didn’t like them or it didn’t fit into what I was doing. 

The area I used to live in was literally in the middle of nowhere so I took up bird photography for a while. Other than that, I mainly focus on doing panorama shots and stitching them all together. 

I also shoot on a 6D. I’d love to move up to a 5Div but don’t want to pay for it.

I just tell Lightroom to stitch panoramas for me :D

Nice shots!

Thanks. Yeah, it’s a great little camera. I looked at the new model and decided I didn’t need to spend the extra cash to upgrade - it does all I need it too. I was considering switching over to the Sony mirrorless system for travel. The canon gets a little bulky with the lenses. Hence, just having two of them at the moment. 

And I totally agree about the software. It literally takes about 5 clicks and the computer churns it out. Quite remarkable really. 

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have to correct you. That's the lighthouse not the split rock. There is a rock up the split rock river for which the lighthouse and river are named. I don't have a picture of that, much to my displeasure... long story. Short story i tried to get there and failed.

lol ok.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

Gary, I always wanted an 8x10 view camera, but never ended up going that direction.  I ended up just getting interested in a lot of other things.

I have found the 4x5 to do quite a good job, film is easier to get and I have an enlarger for it. 

I used to have an 8x10 Korona but I found it way too bulky and heavy, also had an 8x10 Elwood enlarger, what a beast! 

You still have a darkroom?

I know what you mean Drew, did pretty much the same myself but might have been way more into photography, since high school. Got more gear than I can use now and trying to simplify things a bit.

I actually got started woodworking with the intention of building a wooden view camera. With your skills you could probably pull that off.

I took an intro photography class in high school, mainly because I had taken all of the other cad/drafting and technology classes offered, and that seemed like the next best thing (oh how I wish I had taken some wood shop classes!). 

I enjoyed working with the film and the processing at the time and even set up my own darkroom at my house, but at this point in my life I have absolutely no interest in the time, materials, space, and mess. 

I love being able to immediately see if the shot was any good and always having the EXIF data tied to the photo. While it can easily get out of hand, I also like being able to take extra photos at no extra cost and without worry of getting to the end of the roll of film at just the wrong time (this was one of my best “skills” as a film photographer). 

• Like 1

I don't have much of my equipment left from when I was in High School, but remembered this Honeywell flash, in a drawer in a piece of furniture that came out of my Parents' house.  The batteries were rechargable, in the handle, and about the size of D batteries.  They were thrown out long ago.  You had to wait for it to stop screaming while the batteries charged a capacitor before you could shoot.  It was state of the art then.

IMG_1541 (960x1280).jpg

• Like 1

I believe I bought that new in 1967.  You're right about the battery location.  I remembered it wrong.  I haven't used it since 1968.  All my other camera equipment from then was stolen.  My next camera was a fully automatic Canon A1, and my photography became taking pictures.