Newbie from Washington State

rainjer

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

Isn't it difficult to extract anything out of that top drawer?

It is by design. The table extension is only used when she is sewing pieces or quilting.. The drawer is actually the shelf support. It aligns to the main top with 2 tapered dowels. When not in use it stores under top next to the drawers. The top also has an 18” extension on the far side the entire width that fold up using 2 folding shelf brackets.

• Like 1

Welcome Jeremy where in Washington are you located? I live on the west side in a town called Rochester about 20 mi south of Olympia look forward to seeing some projects from you good luck.

Dave

7 hours ago, higtron said:

Welcome Jeremy where in Washington are you located? I live on the west side in a town called Rochester about 20 mi south of Olympia look forward to seeing some projects from you good luck.

Dave

I am in Marysville, 45 miles north of Seattle.

Jeremy

• 6 months later...

Now that you own your home, built your shop and are back to woodworking I recommend starting a small business featuring custom furniture from clients designs. You could also do furniture repair, but stay out of refinishing, too much liability for your mistakes. The portion of your home used as a shop becomes an expense, along with the purchase of any new tools. Do you see where I am going with this? A wise choice would be to secure from Marysville and WA State your business license and become an LLC. How many of your friends have a "free" hobby that may even result in a second job that you love to pay your mortgage?

If you are going to create an LLC and claim business expenses for your hobby, you need to be sure you’ll turn a profit within a few years. (It will need to become a job and not just a hobby) Claiming losses over several years is a surefire way to get yourself audited. Even if you win you’ll be spending dozens, if not hundreds, of hours providing documents and info to the IRS (they’ll even make you provide your past tax returns, even though they already have them) Or you can shell out thousands of dollars for a tax lawyer in hopes of reducing that time. 

It sounds nice to be able to deduct hobby expenses, but just know what you’re signing up for before you do it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retired in Tokeland said:

The portion of your home used as a shop becomes an expense, along with the purchase of any new tools. Do you see where I am going with this? A wise choice would be to secure from Marysville and WA State your business license and become an LLC. How many of your friends have a "free" hobby that may even result in a second job that you love to pay your mortgage?

This isn't as easy as it sounds.  Like John said you need to show a profit pretty quick be for it is looked at as a hobby by he government.  Then you could very well end up paying back taxes from the point you first stated righting things off.

Talk to your accountant for sure.

• 1 month later...