Cherry Wall Cabinet - Completed

JohnG

It’s worth trying out! You might love it or you might hate it, but you won’t know until you try!

Final decision time- where to locate the pulls. Middle of door? Mid-low on door? Low on door?

D223D8D7-DAD0-4FDD-AF02-8263E0CBAAA3.thumb.jpeg.2f266953585ff52fd80808077eed36fe.jpeg
E67B1C2A-9AE0-440F-B10D-A81F82D0155E.thumb.jpeg.eda5670081d72c911ce0db8f7c93aa73.jpeg

92262F3A-D58D-4EF5-99F4-E87F844B5ABC.thumb.jpeg.a93d880b52667d4411064b4be5cd9857.jpeg

I think I like them lower than middle, but beyond that I can’t decide. Any general rules or good examples for me to look at?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'd put them at the height most comfortable for you to reach when the cabinet is hung....

This. 

Next I would consider the latch mechanisms, if any.  If there's a top latch then a higher pull position (that is still a comfortable reach) is better.

Form follows function in this setting.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

This. 

Next I would consider the latch mechanisms, if any.  If there's a top latch then a higher pull position (that is still a comfortable reach) is better.

Form follows function in this setting.

At this point I’m not really considering any latch. If the doors end up trying to wander open, I’d just put a small magnet in the divider above the drawers to hold them shut. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

John, What are the dimensions of your cabinet? I like the proportions, I'm looking at making some small cabinets like this for our bathrooms.

Also how did you hang it on the wall? I was leaning french cleat but that is going to take up internal space so i was honestly thinking just screwing it to the wall.

Thanks i appreciate the info. There are a lot of these cabinets out there but sometimes the proportions look off. I liked the proportions of the cabinet you made.

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

Interestingly, this cherry hasn't darkened much over the past 1.5 years. It has been in places that don't get direct sunlight, but I still expected it to darken more. Still absolutely love it though.

I think it will still darken but it'll take a lot longer. I did a closet project in early 2019 and it has darkened some but not a lot.