Ukulele Build

JohnG

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

One of the top 25  most Intense builds on here! 

I’m flattered that you think so, but I assure you- If I can make this, there are at least 25 people on this forum that can make an even better one! I got lucky and stumbled upon some wood that does most of the work for me, and knew someone that could tell me exactly what to do! :D

Plenty of room for improvement, but it does stun me every time I stop and think about the fact that I made it!

At any rate, it has been a very enjoyable build!

38 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

The grain on that wood is flippin amazing great job!!

Thanks! Putting the oil on the cedar soundboard really brought out a lot of subtle figure. Of course the back is looking pretty good too! I was very fortunate to end up with the materials I did for this project, and it really reinforces how much grain selection can impact the final product.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

To make it worse, I started this during my daughter’s nap. Once I had it clamped in place for one of the holes, my daughter woke up and I had to run back into the house to meet her, so I had to leave it there unattended for about half an hour! 

:o:wacko:

Thanks all! I could write pages on everything that could be improved, but I’ve been trying to cut back on pointing out mistakes so maybe I’ll just write up a short summary for educational purposes. I’ll be happy to go into more detail for anyone if interested. 

My next post (other than replies) will be final setup and hopefully some nice photos.