Dog Bitten Chair Support Structure

On 9/29/2019 at 6:38 PM, treeslayer said:

Very well done Ben, they look like new chairs and I’m sure they will last a very long time, did you get the bug to build something now?

LOL. I don't have the bug to build something.  Although the spindles are done, I have the one armchair that needs a different slider so it can sit straight.  Another that needs full clean up and Minwax finish.  Then,  I have 2 more side chairs that are already clean,  but that I want to use the Minwax Cherry on to give a nice gloss.  My next project is to either repair the finish on the table pictured at the start or remove the finish and refinish it.  Plus, carpenter bees attacked the trim on the side of our carport roof.  The bees are exterminated, but I need to replace the holy trim board.

Everyone: Thanks for all the compliments.  Very Encouraging.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 7:38 PM, treeslayer said:

Very nice Ben, that 440 will really put the wind in your hair with the top down. Going to hot-rod the 440 ? Maybe up the compression and a little bigger camshaft, Holly double pump to feed it, just some suggestions for any extra money you have laying around:)

440 will have 9.5:1 compression.  Bigger more torquey cam.  Holley 750 vacuum secondary.  Sure wish I had extra money laying around.  OTOH, then I wouldn't have had the chance to restore these chairs and meet everyone here.I would have just bought something new.  How boring is that?

On 9/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, Mark J said:

Then he'd have to re-paint it red, with flames.

Alpine white is the original color.  Love it!  That's the color it will stay.

21 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

All that hot rodding sounds good, just don't name it 'Christine'!

:o

HAHA.  Not a chance.  The only women in my home are my wife and daughters.  

• Like 1

10-1-19            Arm Chairs

·         Cleaning: used brush thinner and rag to remove black oil from top rail and arms of chair that I did not repair with the spindle. This chair was still in the kitchen until last night when I moved it out to the garage.

·         Black Water Stains at bottom of legs: I originally thought these stains were paint. But it turns out they are black water stains, probably where someone mopped up against the chair, although the chair could also have been standing in water when it was in storage. Fortunately, the other 5 chairs do not have these black water stains.

·         I used 240 grit sandpaper to sand the end of the legs in hope of removing the black film. Sue and I both sanded on the legs. The front came out a lot better than the back. The back needs treatment of oxalic acid.

·         Chair Seat: I had also used the brush thinner on areas of the seat that looked dingy. In one place towards the back of the seat I took it down to bare wood. This proved my undoing. I applied the General Finishes vintage Cherry stain to the area, but the edges where it met the original finish came out looking pink.

·         I sanded the entire front seat ahead of the groove where the spindles are with 100 grit sandpaper. I then stained the entire seat forward of that groove with General Finishes vintage Cherry stain. I used a paintbrush, dabbed lightly and directly into the can. I used strokes back and forth with the grain of the wood until the seat was covered. Since I was able to keep myself from dipping too much of the brush into the General Finishes Cherry stain, I was able to just brush the excess into the top of the seat. I had very little drip. One coat brought out a nice cherry stain, but it is 2 or 3 shades redder than the original finish. I hope to use the Minwax penetrating cherry stain to add brown tint and semigloss tomorrow.

·         Left the chair to dry overnight.

20191001_135039.jpg

20191001_175245.jpg

20191001_183738.jpg

Did a lot of cleaning with Howard's Golden Oak and 0000 steel wool to get the Minwax off and also Brown tinted the General Finish cherry with the Howard's.  Minwax caused hazing and cloudiness on the seat.  Applied 3 coats General Finishes water based clear coat.  Seat is nicer that rest of chair now.  All's well that ends well, I guess.

20191006_175401.jpg

• Like 1