Rusted bolts

BillyJack

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

For screw heads, the kind of impact driver that you hit with a hammer.  The original "Impact Driver".

"hammer impact driver" found them on Google.

+1. As a teen, I spent / wasted a lot of time on various dirt bikes. Screws in the aluminum crankcases were all but impossible to remove without one of these drivers.

Cant impact it has a Phillips head on top..

After frustration and at this point in my life I empty my hands and walk away

I watched bass tournaments on the tv and went back down

I pulled a set of tools that I used to work on the helical planer on a $100k sander/planer. I found the #3 Phillip's put the box that built  into a 3/8 ratchet extension. Maybe with a bit of force it would break loose.

The Phillips head ratchet gave me more  bite than a regular Phillips screw driver. Screw driver kept slipping..

Lucky it did...cheap tools worth every penny..

20201201_214703.jpg

20201201_214724.jpg

Those hammer impact drivers work fine on Phillips heads.  You don't even need to hit it very hard.  I even use one on small Phillips head machine screws in old sliding glass doors, when one needs to be disassembled.

If one does need to be drilled out, left handed bits are best because most of the time, it will get to some critical point, and all of a sudden the screw/machine bolt backs right out on the end of the drill bit.

• Like 1

I should probably order one of those manual impact drivers before I need it. It's been on my radar for a while now but now that our oldest car is only 7 years old not as needed as when I had my 18 year old Jeep.

Whatever you spray on it, might as well spray all the other bolts even if you don't need them off now.

As I mentioned I couldn't get a grip with a long handled Phillips head screw driver. The Phillips head ratchet with a rachel underneath worked in seconds. I knew the bolt wasn't rusted just momentarily locked.

Now elsewhere on the boat Im gonna need a grinder.  Those are regular steel that's been in the rain for 10 years...