8 Drawer 2 Door Dresser

Chestnut

So there are some design questions that I was going to put in the main post for input. Instead of building dust frames I was goign to just use plywood. Does any one see an issue with this or would dust frames be better? The reason for the ply dust frames is mostly to have a seamless bottom for the cubby area.

The second question, should the vertical dividers be broken up by the horizontal dividers or should the vertical dividers run top to bottom? I"m leaning towards running top to bottom and having the horizontal dividers be 2 pieces. This is mostly driven by the fact that the internal cubby area would have a smooth side wall.

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Congrats!! The cubbies will probably come in handy for the changing table usage.

I’ll be interested to hear how you like the horton hardware. 

Thanks. That was our main thought. it might also be good for other things in the future as well. It just seems like a clever idea.

I have used Horton before and it's great hardware. No slop and very well made. I've been using these hinges on our sideboard for over a year now and the doors swing like they are weightless.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:57 AM, Chestnut said:

should the vertical dividers run top to bottom

This is what I would do.  You could do your horizontals with sliding dovetails.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use ply for the dust panels other then the possibility of adding some weight depending on the thickness you chose to use.

Congratulations to you and Megan.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:45 AM, Chestnut said:

our first kid's bedroom

Congratulations on your new baby!!! On average a baby is a 20 year project. And after every new baby you reset the clock. As skilled as you are on wood projects makes me think you can handle the 20 year project(s). Someday your kids may be making furniture for you...How many more kids do you want?

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on creating an excuse for several iterations of new furniture! ;) Now you'll be able to keep the shop busy for decades!

Kidding aside, your design looks solid. As far as I know, there are only a few 'rules' to govern Shaker design. As I understand it, rule #1 is to use the most perfect materials available (meaning to avoid defects), and apply the best possible craftsmanship (you got that covered). Rule #2 is that every piece and every design component has a purpose, and Rule #3 is to exhibit modesty by avoiding ornamentation for ornamentation's sake. Naturally, this leads to designs that appear rather simple and sparse, but in truth are filled with attention to detail.

The only trouble spot I can imagine about using plywood dust barriers is some small chance that they could restrict movement of attached solid wood components. I'm sure your design will allow for any such possibility.

6 hours ago, Tom King said:

I would use drawers instead of cubbies.  The diaper changing stage will pass before you know it, and then it would be more suitable for a regular bedroom in the future.

I think it'll have good future uses. Megan puts lots of items in little baskets so she can remove them and move them around to places.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Rule #3 is to exhibit modesty by avoiding ornamentation for ornamentation's sake.

Hum so I'll end up bending a few of those rules. My plan was to do shop veneer drawer fronts from curly cherry. They didn't like using veneer or "exotic" woods... I want to veneer the drawer fronts to cover the dovetails but not have to do half blind because I don't want to.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Well, YOU aren't a Shaker, so who says you have to follow the rules? 

:ph34r:

I suppose i don't have to follow the rules but I want to somewhat capture their design aesthetic. The part of this that has me excited is I plan to play with round overs and different reveals on the drawer fronts to add some depth on the face of the dresser. My plan is to have the dividers sit proud of the drawers by 3/32" and have a 3/32" round over. We'll see if I'm able to execute.

With those small drawers you might be okay without dividers in them, but you may want to make some adjustable ones for the larger drawers. Babies clothes are super small and change sizes rapidly. It's crazy how much stuff you get for kids and it quickly is hard to find in big drawers.

Curious to see how you turn the knobs. Somewhere on my to-do list is learning to turn knobs for my shaker end table and the new sideboard.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 7:36 AM, Chestnut said:

I may be alone on this but I rotate my drawers. Fresh clean cloths go on the bottom from the laundry. I put the not yet worn clean cloths back on top. That way I wear 100% of my stuff and nothing gets lost in the drawer. This goes for socks underwear, t-shirts, pants, sweaters, everything... I hang pants and sweaters and my system is to wear the left most article and return to the right side so everything filters through... man i sound like an engineer don't I.... :D.

Wow and I thought I had an OCD problem :P

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Wow and I thought I had an OCD problem 

It's probably made worse when I realized I can't have the same number of pants and sweaters or a multiple on the t-shirts. If the numbers aligned I'd just end up wearing the exact same thing all the time.... not that any one would notice.

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, Chestnut said:

...I'd just end up wearing the exact same thing all the time.... 

That's my process. I only buy gray t-shirts so no trouble deciding on what to wear there for pants Its light jeans for home and dark jeans if I'm leaving the house...god forbid I have to dress up for a client meeting but one good thing about the pandemic is that in person meetings have been a no go for nearly 2 1/2 years LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1