8 Drawer 2 Door Dresser

Chestnut

I always offer defects or odd and different as long as it is solid. It accentuates the natural. From my prospective...

I make book match panels per each divided area. In other words on your project I would have 3 book match with narrower center styles, as opposed to 1 book match interrupted by styles. Nonetheless the one you like is very nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, Tom King said:

I would use drawers instead of cubbies.  The diaper changing stage will pass before you know it, and then it would be more suitable for a regular bedroom in the future.

I dealt with this same issue.  There are 'baby things' that are tall for a drawer but it can be hard to reach specific items in a cubbie while changing a baby.  I added a tray at the end of the changing pad corral that fit the top of the dresser. This kept everything right at hand and was made removable. 

1823825438_NikiCTDresser(00).jpg.b8f3c60e7d9ce4cdaae02d3b0a416503.jpg

Sure enough, before you knew it that topper was off and the dresser is serving more typical dresser duty.

So i should go into this a bit more. The cabinet doors we're just something that both Megan and I thought was cool and added something interesting to the dresser. It may have uses for changing it may not. It may have good uses in the future for  storage of tall awkward items that don't fit in a drawer it may not. We liked the design for what it was, and not it's potential for temporary or interim uses. We've since hashed out some plans and it's unlikely that we'll use the cabinet areas for "changing" storage any way.

We'll just be purchasing a changing pad, these things are so inexpensive and for short uses it makes little sense to make anything. As a point of information, there are standards for changing stations and it appears that having dies on the ends does not meet the standards. A lot of kid items have best practices and instead of trying to one up typical practices I'm just going to buy stuff. If it were up to me I'd just use a towel on a bed....

• Like 2

Different things work for different people. I like your design and wouldn’t change anything about it because of changing table “norms”. Most of the marketing points of changing tables/stations are pointless anyway.

We use a cheap changing pad on top of my wife’s dresser (wide and low dresser) and keep the wipes and diapers in a spare plastic bin on the dresser. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 8:39 PM, pkinneb said:

I saw this piece in person Saturday morning and its looking mighty fine! I'm in awe by how many pieces Drew has made for their home...someday :) 

I’m sure they look even better in person.

Someday is what I keep telling myself too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like all the proportions on this.  Nice design and nice work.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:09 AM, Chestnut said:

I cut a rabbet in all the material for the drawer bottoms. I glue plywood bottoms into a rabbet instead of capturing the bottom in a groove. I don't like the depth loss

Another way to go about this is a groove in the bottom of the sides, front and back and a rabbet in the bottom of the bottom piece.  So if you are using something like 1/2 material for the bottom, you would cut a 1/4 inch grove a 1/4 inch up from the bottom of your draw sides, fronts and backs.  Then cut a rabbet all the way around the bottom side of the bottom.  This leaves a tongue around the top side of the bottom to fit in the grooves and still gives maximum depth to the drawer. 

21 hours ago, Mark J said:

@Chestnut, I'm curious about the trapezoid shaped drawers bit.  How much narrower is the back of the drawer as compared to the front?  Does the deliberate deviation from square complicate the dovetails?

About 1/8" narrower at the back then the front. I've done 1/4" before but that turned out to be a bit excessive. It does not create issues with the dovetails. I just cut them like normal, with the 18" deep drawers the amount they are out of square is difficult to measure.

@Chet That is an excellent way to do drawer bottoms, I've done them that way as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work as usual Drew and an instant heirloom, I like everything about it you nailed the proportions, joinery, finish and fit, I do sometimes leave a message hidden for the person who gets the piece, daughter still has not found the message on the bottom of the hope chest I made 15 years ago 

• Like 1