More DC Systems

Coop

It’s been tossed around more than it should but I’m hell bent on a new one. To make it short and sweet, those with a fix piped system, tell me the name of your dust collection system, the pros and cons, and what you would do differently, if applicable . I am limited to an 8’ ceiling. Thanks. 

So I have an older ClearVue setup. 5hp, 16 inch impeller.  6 inch PVC ducting all the way to the jointer, planer, Saw Stop, and both bandsaws.  Changed the ports on the planer and jointer to 6 inch.  Changed the port on the Saw Stop to 5 inch below, and 4 inch over the blade.  Both bandsaws have 2 4 inch pickups.  Only the sanders have single 4 inch.  Router table has 2 4 inch pickups.  Overall, very pleased with the system.  Did add the collection bin sensor.  Over filling the collection bin is a major PITA.  One of the few purchases I have made that I have not wondered if I could have done better

• Like 2

I have the Oneida Gorilla Pro. I think it's a great collector and I highly recommend it BUT, I think the clear vue CV1450 represents a better bang for your buck. The collector I own is nearly double the CV1450.

The Oneida Gorilla pro is 7' 10" tall with a 35 gallon bin, and let me tell you a 35 gallon bin fills quickly. If the Pro is to expensive the Oneida V3000 is cheaper and has very similar specs. It's just plastic body instead of metal which i don't think is a bad thing.

I don't personally feel that there is much need to go above the CV 1450 or 3HP Oneida for a 1 man shop. Both of these collectors are capable of collecting from 2 tools at the same time. I don't know about you but I can only run 1 tool at a time. That said if I'm moving between 2 tools quickly, like the band saw and jointer, I'll leave both gates open. Both collectors give you that ability.

There is also the Oneida SuperCell and I know nothing about it....

All the other collectors like Grizzly and Laguna will work but they have their drawbacks. Primarily it's a short cyclone that will lead to faster filter loading and require more filter cleanings.

I ran plastic SDR 35 pipe and it works well. It'd be awesome to have that expensive fancy metal pipe but I'm set up and running.

• Like 2

Oneida Dust Gorilla 15 years ish and still going strong. No regrets I would absolutely buy again. I like that it just works they also have a design service so that you can get things plumbed right (or at least they used to) the bin level indicator light in the shop is an added bonus. The only downside is its loud if I had to do again I would put it in a closet like @gee-dubdid in his new shop.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:04 AM, gee-dub said:

Grizzly G0440 bought in 2008 (no longer offered expect in a HEPA version).  It is a 2HP and amazingly still does well ion the new larger shop.  I built everything out expecting to have to upgrade to a 5HP but the G0440 is still betting the job done.  I attribute a lot of this to planning, planning, planning to get the smoothest possible pathway from machine to DC.  If I were buying new I would look at the Clearview and Oneida. 

ASTM-2729 pipe has always worked great for me so I'm a fan.  It is lightweight to hang and work with.  It is easy to modify when required.  My whole duct system cost about what steel wyes and elbows would have cost me.  I am in a sunny SoCal desert basin where things last a long time.  I do not know if your local environment would make metal duct more appealing. There are folks on here who can speak to this from experience and I cannot :).

Sorry . . . I started blathering . . . Get the biggest blower you can afford IMHO.  No one ever complained about their DC having too much suck.  Vent outside if you can; it is cyclone nirvana :D.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, JohnG said:

Most people on this forum are hobbyists. That means that the goal is not always "getting by," but for some it's enjoying the process and the interaction with the tools. I "get by" with my HF DC, but my next tool purchase will likely be a better one. Better DC = less sawdust and fine particulates in the air = healthier lungs, less cleanup, and fewer sawdust boogers.

Cost/benefit analysis is different for everyone.

Looking back you must not be talking to me..

On 1/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, gee-dub said:

I posted a thread here. :)

Thanks! 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, BillyJack said:

Looking back you must not be talking to me..

If you say so.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, Coop said:

I recently watched a video where a guy added low voltage micro switches to his gates that operated his Long Ranger and leaves the power on, controlled by the Long Ranger. Have anyone of you gone to that extreme and is it worth it? 

link? I remember seeing a product made for this but they were very expensive.