project photos

All are really cool Dave! The designs are as neat as the constructions. Being a little partial, I really like Lucy’s L! I also like the way you layered the different woods in the three boxes. Looks like I will be making a box for my son’s dog before long and the pic is a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic work Dave. You’ve got me inspired to do some recipe boxes for my wife, mother, and MIL. Also thinking about possibly using a similar design from the watch box for a cuff link box for my dad. 

In your recipe boxes it appears that you have layers of different species. How were you able to stack those up like that?

16 minutes ago, Jonathan McCully said:

How were you able to stack those up like that?

hey Jonathan, i just glued 3/4" thick strips of different widths together in a length that would be long enough for the whole box plus a couple of extra inches then planed that piece down to 1/2" to get the final thickness

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

hey Jonathan, i just glued 3/4" thick strips of different widths together in a length that would be long enough for the whole box plus a couple of extra inches then planed that piece down to 1/2" to get the final thickness

Perfect. Thanks. Reminds me of what I did for cutting boards, just wasn’t sure how you would make a box out of them. Makes more sense to me now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...