Gaming Table

Coop

Just a quick thought- as seen in this picture, be sure to add a good bit of clearance on all sides of his PC tower dimensions. The desk will surely outlive his current machine and who knows where the trend will be in a few years. Also, it’s a huge PITA to connect/disconnect peripherals if you only give a couple inches of total clearance (don’t ask me how I know).

• Like 1

E2C659D3-3AB7-4C6D-99AE-1A26A4A9B596.thumb.jpeg.09125745d55173ddc3bcba17c362fc69.jpegMy grandson is also a gamer and has a tower that has several fans to cool it. I was told that this one won’t be using a tower although one is shown in the pic. I’m not sure how all of this electronic gadgetry works. 

Final dimensions will be a 16” wide cabinet, 20” wide leg space and to me, a useless 7” wide cabinet. Seems like a wasted space and it adds another panel and two more legs.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, Coop said:

I’ve been asked by my wife’s nephew’s son, to build him a gaming table. The little fart spends way too much time on his cell phone and computer but, I’m not his dad, just his Woodworking uncle. He sent this pic and although it would be a whole lot easier to use ply and pocket screws, just not the way I would like to do it. The pic shows a table of 6’ long but I am limited to 50” due to space available so the shelving to either side will be limited. The unit will be painted and as I have sworn to never paint another piece, the parents will be responsible for the discoloration. The only good part of the paint is that I can cheap out on the wood species. Ash for the frame and 1/2” foreign ply for the panels. The purple lighting reminds me of my teen years. 34216D88-3C9D-4E5B-9094-6C841E978DFB.thumb.jpeg.2e143bc0e2c1ef511b14ed94aca1d07f.jpeg

That is a sweet setup :)

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, Coop said:

The little fart spends way too much time on his cell phone and computer

That was me before i had a place of my own. I eventually transitioned from games to woodworking. I have difficulty sometimes criticizing all games because they did help me learn problem solving, helped me build confidence, and sometimes taught me leadership and how to navigate social situations but that depends on the game. They also helped me develop a drive to accomplish goals, that has directly translated into woodworking.

I haven't been flowing games for the last 10 years though so i don't know if the games these days are any good.

No, not really too large for 1/4” ply but he wanted adjustable height shelves, like they will ever be changed. Due to weight and cost, I would have used 3/4” ply. The sad part is, that the shelf pins recess into the sides, 1/2”. And no, the 1/2” ply was purchased just for this project, unfortunately. Luckily I find that the panels are set back from the legs on the inside exactly 1/2” so a strip of 1/2” ply at each shelf level, will accommodate the pins, I hope! I think I am into this too far to do otherwise. Pics to follow. Maybe I can learn from you guys on how to do this differently in the future. 

• Like 2