Router Table Excitement

Chet

I was doing a little prototyping for an up coming project.  Yesterday I was cutting a grove using my router table.  because its a prototype, I was using some poplar and the grove was 3/8 wide and was going to be 5/16 deep.  I was on my third pass, the first being 1/16 deep, the second 1/8' deep and the third was the same.

About a two thirds of the way along I started to feel a growing vibration so I hit the stop paddle with my knee and held to work piece with the push pad standing back as far as I could with out letting go of the work for fear it would shoot off some where.  About then the router bit broke through the work piece which lead me to think the bit had come loose out of the collet.  But as it turns out the top 1 1/4" of the bit just broke off.  It chewed up my insert plate pretty good as well.

IMG_0712.thumb.jpg.5e31beabdcbd308cc4a9c37ab2691f32.jpg

IMG_0713.thumb.jpg.edb4f459383057776a3572008f95fcc1.jpg

• Sad 8

On 7/5/2022 at 3:58 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Any idea why the bit broke?

Nope,  where it broke was under the table so its not like it hit a foreign object imbedded in the wood and I wasn't putting it under any undue work load, it was just a piece of poplar.

The bit was about five years old.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Dave's Not Here said:

possibly a new pair of tighty-whities.

They were fine. :P there was some warning when the vibration started.

Thanks for advice. @Chet glad you're okay.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, Tom King said:

I'd replace the collet.   I think something happened to the collet.

Call and talk to someone at Whiteside.  I would expect they've seen it happen before.  I've talked to a guy there named Todd several times.  He has a good understanding of everything they deal with.

This doesn't diminish Whiteside from the top of my list of preferences for router bits.

Is it possible the bit got dull? 5 years isn't that long but with some good use it could have worn out. Looks like an all carbide bit?

I've broken a few core box bits but it's mostly because they went dull. The cutting action starts to vibrate and then the shaft breaks, not like this though.

Glad that your hands are safe and that there were no injuries.

A very similar  thing happened to me with a brand new $135 spiral carbide bit. It loosened in the chuck just enough to work its way out and then all hell broke loose. The bit didn't break, but it was ruined. I always try to remind myself and others that those collets need to be TIGHT. It's not like a saw blade that will tend to tighten itself.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:39 AM, drzaius said:

I always try to remind myself and others that those collets need to be TIGHT

This is the thing I keep coming back to.  The shank was still in the collet and I had to use the tools to loosen it.  But it could be that I didn't get it tight enough and when the vibration started the shank got wonkie in the collet and made it feel like it was tight.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:41 AM, Tom King said:

This doesn't diminish Whiteside from the top of my list of preferences for router bits.

I am with you on this, the replacement that I ordered is Whiteside.

• Like 1

Collets do get to the point that they won't hold a bit, too.  I never figured out why, but have had it happen multiple times.  It may seem like it's holding, from the way it feels after tightening one, but the bit will still walk, even though it's grabbing hard enough to do some cutting.

They can get to the point that regardless of how tight you turn the nuts, the collet still won't hold.   We took off 3/4" of about 200 square feet of the top of old flooring in an 1828 house, and wore out three collets in the process.  I even tried tightening them with two regular 1-1/8" wrenches, which are over a foot long each.  I never figured out what happens to them, or spent much time thinking about it.

The only way I could tell was that the bit slipped longer.   I could tell because it became harder to cut, and made a different sound.  I wish I knew a better way.  The bits I was using were just straight cutters.  I expect things good get more interesting with a spiral upfeed.