Picture Frames

Coop

I have a former employee/friend that is an amateur photographer. His main focus is landscape and scenic. He has been asked by a local gallery to show some of his work. I have made a couple of frames for him before and he’s asked me to build the frames for the exhibit as he likes my work (read that as cheap labor :D). The gallery director suggested that the frames be simple as in one color (no inlay). I understand the no inlay part but don’t want to just use a 1x2 strip of walnut with a rabbet cut for the glass. There will be seven 18” x 12”, four 30” x 20” and one 36 x 24”. Can some of you guys post pics of frames you have made in the past, please?  

• Like 1

Thus you enter the world of "the frame holds the art" or "the frame enhances the art".  For a showing of photographic work I would want my frames to be elegant but very low key.  the viewers are there to see the art, not the frame.  This is an 11 x 14 so . . . large for a home but small for your purposes.

1082192499_11-14-frame(26).jpg.1f22c5c8785492edbebec36f7b98f7b5.jpg

The construction is pretty straightforward and the visual is distinct but not over the top.

1955158690_11-14-frame(15).jpg.ef9adc9b5aafafe7c3f4365c638c5a35.jpg

It is low profile.  The depth can be judged by the overall thickness of the glass, the art, the backer and the sealer if there is one.  Tthe one shown above is a print glued to a substrate of foam board, spaced from the glass by a mat that hides behind the frame rabbet, backed by 1/8" hardboard and taped to prevent dust.

If you want something with a little more splash . . . 

667387638_5X5Frame(23).jpg.8ac666850b8d8d77260668433c4bcc69.jpg

I can post some of those.

HTH

• Like 2

An unintentional trick of the eye or the camera.  The outer edge is a slightly eased 90 degree corner like a table top.  The inside edge is a round over.  The frame stock was about 1-9/16" inside edge to outside edge.  Rough blanks were 1-5/8" off the machines.  The tiger maple banding is 1/2" wide and a fat 1/16" thick.  I dado'd the mahogany at the tablesaw and laid the maple in a bit proud.  I then drum sanded and hand planed it flush.  By the time I had done the round over and the surface prep all around I ended up with a fat 1-1/2" (or a skinny 1-5/8") . . . close to the 1-9/16" I mention although that was not a specific target.  The joys of making a one-off.   Then I mitered the frame parts at the tablesaw.  Artwork sets into a dado at the rear.  Keyhole slots to hang IIRC.

• Like 1

@Coop, to keep it simple, I suggest a single, evenly colored species for each frame. Cut your stock into profiles that make the image recede or protrude. Cutting clean miters on non-rectangular profiles is challenging, unless you have a guillotine trimmer, like frame shops use. I would also work closely with your friend to choose the species for each frame.

• Like 1

I bet one could buy frame stock in uncut lengths.  After all, frame shops must get their stock from somewhere. 

Is the art being sold framed or unframed?  If framed, you don't want it to clash with someone's home decor, so simple black comes to mind.  

I think the gallery is your source of wisdom here, but it does sound like you need to buy yourself a new 45* shooting board and plane :rolleyes:.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Coop said:

@Chestnut, I didn’t see any splines in yours. Is the pic pre-splines or did you use glue only?

I did the splines in a later step after the last picture. You can see some of the splines in this picture. I was applying finish. They are kinda hard to see because i did walnut splines on walnut frames. Tried to keep it subtle.

0307212125_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.e55f075d35b2ba7ec58cfb94dfee1416.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Someone question as to why I’m taking these to 3/4” as opposed to 1”. 
The width of the frame boards are as follows; 45”x33” frame - 2” wide, 38”x28” frame - 1 3/4” wide, 25”x19” frame - 1 1/2” wide. 
So would having the frame board thickness at 1” be too chunky looking? 

• Like 1